Peter Ruby at iTech Law's Smarter, Faster, Cheaper Technology Dispute Resolution Conference
Fordham University, Lincoln Center Campus
113 West 60th Street
New York, NY 10023
Wednesday, November 14, 2018
9:45 - 10:00am: Welcome/Introductions
11:30am - 12:40pm: Session II: Strategic Planning for Technology Development, Licensing, Distribution and Outsourcing and Copyright, Trade Secret and Patent Disputes
Speaker: Peter Ruby, Partner, Goodmans LLP
- Strategic planning for technology disputes − when does it start/when does it end? What are the issues/concerns?
- Every industry has technology disputes but is court or ADR right for every dispute?
- What’s important in selecting counsel and the neutral in technology disputes − substantive law expertise, ADR expertise or technology expertise? Are two out of three enough?
- Keeping licensing and distribution contracts focused on business relationships.
- Thinking about dispute planning when outsourcing major operations.
- FRAND strategies in telecom and life sciences.
- Trademark protect strategies.
- Copyright when judge and jury don’t know how to use a computer.
- Is relying on the new federal trade secret act the best way to keep trade secrets secret?
- Is there a need for arbitration in patent disputes? Is the current system − including Inter partes review, ITC and the Federal Circuit appeals − sufficient?
- What can in-house counsel do to make IP cases more efficient?