Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Jarrett Freeman is a partner in the Tax Group at Goodmans. His practice focuses on various corporate, real estate and international tax matters. In 2017, Jarrett was recognized as one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40.
Jarrett has provided tax advice on numerous corporate and commercial transactions, including:
- Minto Apartment REIT’s $230 million initial public offering.
- Pure Industrial REIT’s acquisition by Blackstone Property Partners and Ivanhoe Cambridge.
- Iovate Health Sciences International Inc.’s sale to Xiwang Foodstuffs Company Ltd.
- Roots Canada Ltd.’s majority stake sale in Roots to Searchlight Capital Partners, L.P.
- NorthWest Healthcare Properties REIT on various matters, including its combination with NorthWest International Healthcare Properties REIT, its joint venture with a large sovereign wealth fund, and its acquisition of Generation Healthcare REIT.
- Apax Partners and Hub International Limited in Hub International’s US$4.4 billion acquisition by Hellman & Friedman LLC
- Blackstone Real Estate Advisors LP and Slate Properties Inc.’s sale of their Canadian office portfolio for $831.8 million to Dundee REIT.
- HealthLease Properties REIT’s $1 billion acquisition by Health Care REIT, Inc.
- Inovalis REIT’s $113.7 million initial public offering
- Agellan Commercial REIT’s $151 million initial public offering
- HealthLease Properties REIT’s $145 million initial public offering – Canada’s first “pure play” real estate REIT in the seniors housing sector.
- Slate Retail REIT’s combination transaction and listing on the TSX.
- Timbercreek U.S. Multi-Residential Opportunity Fund #1’s $40.5 million initial public offering.
- Tricon Capital Group Inc.’s $69 million initial public offering.
Jarrett has extensive experience advising REITs, private equity funds, investment funds and other yield-oriented issuers on tax and structural matters.
Jarrett also has written tax articles on a variety of income tax matters including the taxation of real estate investment trusts, income fund conversions and the SIFT rules.
Jarrett joined the firm as a summer student in 2002, returned as a summer student in 2003, and articled in 2004-2005.
|Education|| Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B., 2004)
Richard Ivey School of Business (HBA (With Distinction), 2001)
|Year of Call||