Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Joe Hoffman is an associate in the Municipal, Planning and Property Tax Group at Goodmans. Joe specializes in municipal law representing both private and public sector clients throughout Ontario, including real estate developers and municipalities. Joe has worked on a wide range of matters arising in the context of land development, including planning applications for large residential and commercial projects, minor variance approvals, as well as heritage, urban boundary expansion, and development charge issues.
Joe appears regularly before administrative tribunals and municipal authorities, including the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal, the Toronto Local Appeal Body, the Committee of Adjustment, and Toronto City Council. Joe has also appeared before the Ontario Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Appeal.
Joe’s representative work includes acting on:
- a number of high-rise residential condominium projects and commerical projects throughout Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area
- the approval of the redevelopment of the Chelsea Hotel site permitting three towers and over 1.7 million square feet of gross floor area
- Urban Boundary Expansion matters within the City of Hamilton
- Development Charge appeals in the City of Markham, the Municipality of Clarington and the City of Missisauga
- BILD’s appeal of the City of Toronto’s Official Plan introducing a Development Permit System
Joe sits on the executive for the Ontario Bar Association’s Municipal Law Section. He is a member of the Urban Land Institute and volunteers in high¬ school class rooms throughout Toronto as part of UrbanPlan, a project-based learning curriculum bringing together disciplines such as economics, city government, real estate and urban planning. In 2017, Joe received the Alumni Mentor of the Year from Osgoode Hall Law School.
|Education|| Osgoode Hall Law School (J.D., 2012)
Dalhousie University (B.Comm (Distinction), 2008)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||