Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Mark Surchin is a partner in a business law group and is the Co-Chair of the Opinions Committee at Goodmans. He also oversees the professional development of the firm’s corporate clerks.
Mark has an active transactional corporate law practice with an emphasis on debt financings. He provides ongoing corporate/commercial advice to a number of companies carrying on business in Canada and plays a lead role advising a variety of the firm’s borrower and lender clients in debt financing transactions, both domestic and cross-border. Mark has extensive experience in high yield and other debt securities transactions and is also involved in secondary transactions in the private equity fund context.
Mark’s recent transaction work includes acting for:
- Whitehorse Liguidity Partners in connection with its capital structure
- Tricon Capital Group in its senior syndicated credit facilities
- a U.S. bank in structuring and documenting credit facilities made available to a cross-border borrower
- various U.S. law firms in several cross-border facilities, both for lenders and borrowers
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in its secondary purchases and sales
- Cardone Industries in its credit facilities with Citizens Bank
- Randa Accessories in its credit facilities with Wells Fargo relating to the acquisition of Haggar Clothing
Mark has been recognized as a leader in banking law by Best Lawyers in Canada and IFLR 1000 and is AV Peer Review Rated by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell.
PROFESSIONAL INVOLVEMENT AND CHARITY WORK
Mark is a member of the Toronto Opinions Group which works to resolve commonly arising opinion issues, with the goal of facilitating for practitioners the settling of opinions in transactions.
Mark is a member of the Board of Trustees and the Immediate Past President of the Alumni Association of Brandeis University.
Since 2018, Mark has taught Business Organizations at the University of Toronto to its Global Professional Masters students. Mark is a member of the Law Alumni Association of the Faculty of Law at University of Toronto and a member of the University of Toronto College of Electors.
Mark Surchin is a co-author of Practical Law Canada’s Cross-border Contracts and Boilerplate Clauses content.
He also volunteers at Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto General Hospital and Toronto Rehab.
|Education|| University of Toronto (J.D., Honours, 1981)
Brandeis University (B.A., Summa Cum Laude with High Honours in Politics and Phi Beta Kappa, 1978)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||