Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Michael Royal is an associate in the Tax Group at Goodmans.
Prior to joining Goodmans, Michael completed a judicial clerkship at the Tax Court of Canada and worked as a summer student in the tax department of another national law firm.
During law school, Michael received academic and writing awards in the areas of corporate finance, corporate law, commercial law and tax law, placing on the Dean’s Honour List each year. He was also a member of the winning team for the 2012 Bowman National Tax Moot.
Michael was the recipient of the 2011-2012 Canadian Tax Foundation Fasken Martineau Dumoulin Award, recognizing the top student tax-related research paper in Ontario.
- Acted for Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. (TSX/NYSE: CP) in connection with its formation of a joint venture with Dream Unlimited Corp. (TSX: DRM) (Dream Van Horne Properties) to develop a portfolio of CP’s surplus real estate
- Acted for HudBay Minerals Inc. (TSX/NYSE: HBM) in connection with its $540 million take-over bid for Augusta Resources Corp. and its subsequent $555 million friendly acquisition of Augusta
- Acted for an ad hoc committee of noteholders in connection with the US$1.4 billion recapitalization and refinancing of Essar Steel Algoma Inc. through a restructuring of certain of Algoma’s existing debt obligations pursuant to a plan of arrangement under the Canada Business Corporations Act and refinancing of Algoma’s outstanding debt through concurrent Term Loan, ABL, High Yield Debt and Junior Notes financings
- Acted for the initial consenting noteholders in connection with the $400 million cross-border recapitalization and restructuring of Lone Pine Resources Canada Ltd. and Lone Pine Resources Inc. pursuant to a plan of compromise and arrangement under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act
- Acted for Highbridge Principal Strategies LLC in connection with GFL Environmental Inc.’s $950 million reorganization and recapitalization
- Acted for an ad hoc committee of noteholders in connection with the US$320 million recapitalization and financing of Jaguar Mining Inc. pursuant to a plan of compromise and arrangement under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act
- Acted for an ad hoc committee of debentureholders in connection with Arcan Resource Ltd.’s exchange of its $171.25 million convertible unsecured subordinated debentures into common shares of Arcan
|Education|| University of Western Ontario (J.D. (concentration in Business Law), 2012)
Laurentian University (B.B.A. (specialization in Accounting), 2008)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||