Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Michelle Roth is the founder and chair of Goodmans’ Seniors Housing division and President and CEO of SenbridGe, a division of Goodmans focusing on healthcare and aging. In addition to providing ongoing and transaction specific strategic advice to organizations, she handles a diverse range of M&A transactions involving health care assets. Michelle spent several years working in-house at healthcare organizations and her law practice has varied over the years to include mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, banking, real estate and trusts. Michelle has specialized expertise in CMHC backed debt financing, all levels of healthcare regulation and industry mapping for transactional purposes.
She has played an integral role in the formation and subsequent financings of many of Canada’s largest seniors housing providers and most recently, led the legal teams for various joint ventures between Welltower Inc. and Revera Inc. Michelle is considered a foremost industry leader in Seniors Housing and her broad base of experience and creativity has resulted in her completing numerous innovative transactions, including uniquely structured seniors housing, pharmacy and private medical centre restructurings, REIT/REOC combinations, long-term care development projects and life science and pharmaceutical company initiatives.
Michelle has been recognized by The Globe and Mail and Lexpert for her work in cross-border transactions and as one of Canada’s Leading Lawyers. In 2018, she received the Lexpert Zenith Award recognizing mid-career excellence in the legal profession. Since 2014, Michelle has been recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of health care law by The Best Lawyers in Canada. Chambers Canada 2017 has recognized Michelle as a leading lawyer in the area of REITs and clients say she is ‘smart, thorough and knows the issues – she’s interested in getting the deal done’. She has practiced in Toronto and Vancouver.
In addition to leading Goodmans’ successful and evolving complement of educational, networking and publication offerings related to the seniors living and healthcare industries through SenbridGe, Michelle is a frequent speaker and author in the health care space. For a decade, Michelle chaired Insight’s Seniors Housing Forum and in 2015, was appointed as Lead Subject Matter Expert for the new REALpac Seniors Residential Caucus. She is a member of Thomson Reuter’s Commercial Transactions Advisory Board for Practical Law – Canada. Michelle has been a board member of several notable Toronto not-for-profit organizations, including the Royal Conservatory of Music, the Executive Cabinet for The Hospital for Sick Children and just retired as Chair of the Regent Park School of Music.
Michelle’s representative work includes:
- Revera Inc. in its joint venture partnership with Axium Infrastructure to share ownership of 32 of Revera’s long term care homes in Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba and British Columbia
- Sienna Senior Living Inc. in its acquisition of 10 high-quality Ontario retirement residences for $382 million and $184 million common share offering
- Sienna Senior Living Inc. in its $138.4 million subscription receipt offering, the proceeds of which were used to partially fund the acquisition from BayBridge Seniors Housing of a seniors housing portfolio in British Columbia and a 50% interest in the manager and operator of the acquired seniors housing assets
- Sienna Senior Living Inc. in the sale of its home care business, Preferred Health Care Services, to Spectrum Health Care LP
- Welltower Inc. and Revera Inc. in their $374.4 million joint venture acquisition of Regal Lifestyle Communities Inc.
- HCN-Revera Joint Venture Limited Partnership’s acquisition of the Alberta portfolio of The Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
- Revera Inc.’s acquisition of the Quebec portfolio of The Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
- Revera Inc. in the $83 million sale of its Canadian home health business to Extendicare Inc.
- HealthLease Properties REIT in connection with its acquisition by Health Care REIT, Inc. for C$1 billion
- Revera Inc.’s acquisition of a majority stake in Sunrise Senior Living management company
- Health Care REIT Inc. and Revera Inc. in connection with their US$2 billion joint venture resulting in shared ownership of 70+ Canadian retirement residences previously owned by Revera
- HealthLease Properties REIT in connection with the US$77.6 million acquisitions of two senior housing portfolios consisting of 12 senior housing and care properties in the U.S. and Canada from Continuum Health Care Holdings Ltd. and its affiliates
- Leisureworld Senior Care LP in connection with its $322 million offering of senior secured debentures
- Leisureworld Senior Care Corporation in connection with a bought deal offering of subscription receipts and convertible unsecured subordinated debentures for $125 million
- FAM REIT in its $58.8 million initial public offering, and
- Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care and Jewish Homes for the Aged in various matters
|Education|| University of British Columbia (LL.B.)
Simon Fraser University (B.A. (Hons., English, Biology and Liberal Arts))
University of British Columbia (B.A. (Hons., Music))
|Year of Call||