Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Neill May is a partner, Co-Chair of the Corporate Securities Group and a member of the Executive Committee at Goodmans. His practice focuses on all aspects of securities law, with a particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance. Neill has developed a reputation for expertise in securities law and for his ability to negotiate and complete complex and innovative transactions.
Neill has counselled participants in numerous public and private M&A transactions, and has represented clients on both sides of friendly and hostile takeover bids. He has also structured and implemented a vast range of corporate reorganizations and financing transactions, including domestic and cross-border public offerings, and private strategic and venture capital financings.
Neill’s recent representative work includes acting for:
- Newmont Mining Corporation in its acquisition of Goldcorp Inc., its Nevada and Galore Creek joint ventures, and in various investments including Continental Gold Inc., Evrim Resources Corp., Irving Resources Inc., Maverix Metals Inc., Orosur Mining Inc. and TMAC Resources Inc.
- Clairvest Group Inc. and its managed funds in their investments in Also Energy Inc. (and tuck-under Locus Energy Inc.) and Digital Media Solutions, LLC, its divestment of Lyophilization Services of New England, Inc., its investment in and divestment of Cieslok Media Ltd., and the sale by its subsidiary Discovery Air Inc. of its fire services division
- Anchorage Capital Group, L.L.C. and JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. in their financing of Resolve-Class Naval Support Ship, m/v Asterix
- Cinram International Inc. in its sale to Najafi Companies
- Iovate Health Sciences International Inc. in its sale to Xiwang Foodstuffs Co., Ltd.
- CML HealthCare Inc. in its sale by way of plan of arrangement to LifeLabs Ontario Inc.
- L’Oréal USA in its acquisition of three consumer brands from Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc. (now Bausch Health Companies Inc.)
- Uranium One Inc. in its privatization by JSC Atomredmetzoloto
- Vicwest Inc. in the sale of its Building Products Division to Kingspan Group plc and the sale of its Westeel Operating Division to Ag Growth International Inc.
- Wellington Financial L.P. in the sale of its venture debt business assets and its Fund V loan portfolio to CIBC
- Blair Franklin Asset Management Inc. in its acquisition by Gluskin Sheff + Associates Inc.
Neill is recognized as a leading practitioner of corporate finance law and is repeatedly recommended for mining law by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory. He has been recommended by The Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, Chambers Global (corporate/M&A), Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading M&A Lawyers, IFLR 1000 (M&A), Best Lawyers in Canada (corporate) and is also recognized as a leading practitioner in the Lexpert Special Edition on Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining.
Neill is a former member of the Toronto Stock Exchange Listing Advisory Committee and the Ontario Securities Commission’s Securities Advisory Committee and Small Business Advisory Committee. He has co-authored reports for the Ontario Securities Commission Task Force on small business financing. Neill is a former Adjunct Professor at the University of Toronto - Faculty of Law and heads the firm’s continuing legal education committee.
|Education|| University of Toronto (LL.B., 1990)
Law Society of Ontario