Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Peter is a partner in the Litigation Group at Goodmans. He has a broad civil litigation practice, which focuses on assisting clients with complex commerical litigation matters.
His experience includes commercial disputes, securities matters, shareholder activism and corporate governance, director and officer liability claims, civil fraud, insolvency proceedings, real estate litigation, professional responsibility proceedings, plans of arrangement and fiduciary obligations disputes.
Peter has been counsel in over 40 reported decisions, including three that have been recognized by Lexpert Magazine or the Law Times as top cases of the year. He has also acted for corporations in various industries on over 35 unreported plan of arrangement proceedings under the Canada Business Corporations Act, and the business corporations acts of Ontario, Alberta, B.C. and Manitoba.
Peter has appeared as counsel in trials, appeals, applications and motions before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, including the Commercial Court, the Ontario Divisional Court, the Court of Appeal for Ontario, the Supreme Court of Canada, the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench, the Federal Court, the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware, as well as Law Society of Ontario discipline panels.
Peter articled as a Law Clerk to the Honourable Madam Justice Louise Charron of the Supreme Court of Canada.
Peter is fluent in French.
Peter’s representative work includes acting for:
- Chevron Canada Limited in a successful summary judgment motion, upheld on appeal, that dismissed an action that had sought to enforce a US$9.5 billion Ecuadorian judgment for alleged environmental pollution, now a seminal Canadian case on corporate separateness
- Hudbay Minerals Inc. in a proxy contest that successfully defended a proceeding by a dissident shareholder that sought adjournment of a shareholders’ meeting
- Paulson & Co. Inc. in a proxy contest, including successfully responding to a claim by Detour Gold Corporation alleging insider trading and tipping
- a Crown corporation which was a plaintiff in an action for damages for fraudulent misrepresentation where $44 million in damages were awarded following a 16 day trial in which 15 witnesses, including experts, testified
- the Court-appointed Monitor of Nortel Networks in various matters in its proceedings under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act, including successfully opposing leave to appeal to the Court of Appeal for Ontario from an order allocating $7.3 billion in sale proceeds following a joint trial before the Ontario and Delaware courts; the decision was recognized by Lexpert Magazine’s Top 10 Business Cases of 2016
- Chevron Canada Limited in motions and appeals to stay proceedings on the basis of lack of jurisdiction; the Supreme Court of Canada’s decision was recognized by Law Times’ Top Cases of 2015
- Sun Indalex Finance, LLC in a successful appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada that overturned a decision distributing reserve funds to pay a pension deficit; the decision was recognized by Lexpert Magazine’s Top 10 Business Cases of 2013
- an individual director of a reporting issuer in an appeal to the Ontario Divisional Court from decisions of the Ontario Securities Commission involving violations of the Securities Act
- Look Communications Inc. in a successful defence against three proceedings seeking advances of legal fees from the company that was suing its former officers and directors for breaches of fiduciary duties
- Copper Mesa Mining Corp. and two of its directors in successfully having struck three actions seeking over $90 million for alleged human rights abuses in Ecuador
Peter acts as a mentor to junior litigation lawyers as well as summer and articling students at Goodmans. He coordinates the Litigation Group’s internal Continuing Legal Education program. He has guest lectured at the University of Toronto to its Global Professional Masters students. He has also taught at various Continuing Legal Education programs and written numerous articles for legal publications.
|Education|| Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B., 2006)
McGill University (B.A., Honours, Economics, 2002)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||