Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Richard Annan is a member of the Competition, Antitrust and Foreign Investment Group and serves as counsel at Goodmans. Richard specializes in competition law, having served 22 years with the Canadian Competition Bureau in management and senior case officer positions. Richard joined Goodmans in 2004 and headed the competition law practice at Goodmans until 2014.
Richard has been the team leader for the examination of many significant mergers in a wide range of industries under the Competition Act. In 1998, he led the examination of the proposed mergers between the Royal Bank of Canada and the Bank of Montreal and between the Toronto-Dominion Bank and the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, the largest and most complex merger examinations ever undertaken in Canada. In 1999, he led the examination of the merger between Air Canada and Canadian Airlines. Richard was the investigative team leader in the Gemini I and II cases that were resolved through Competition Tribunal proceedings.
Recent matters that Richard has worked on related to the Competition Act include:
- Acted for Spectra Energy Corp in its merger with Enbridge Inc., creating the largest energy infrastructure company in North America. The stock-for-stock merger transaction was valued at approximately $37 billion.
- Acted for Cintas Corporation in its acquisition of G&K Services, Inc. for total consideration of approximately US$2.2 billion.
- Acted for 7-Eleven Canada Inc. in its acquisition of 144 retail gasoline sites from Imperial Oil.
- Acted for the Vancouver Airport Authority with respect to an abuse of dominance inquiry concerning flight kitchen catering services at the Vancouver International Airport.
- Acted for the NHL in relation to the review by the Canadian Competition Bureau of the 12-year, $5.2 billion agreement between Rogers and the NHL with respect to broadcasting rights for NHL hockey games in Canada.
- Acted for Postmedia Network Canada Corp. in its acquisition of Sun Media’s English language newspapers and digital properties, creating the largest newspaper chain in Canada.
Richard is recognized as a leading competition/antitrust lawyer by Chambers Canada, Chambers Global, Who’s Who Legal: Canada, The Best Lawyers in Canada and Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides.
|Education|| CFA Institute (Chartered Financial Analyst, 1999)
University of Western Ontario (MBA, 1982)
Queen's University (LL.B., 1980)
|Year of Call||