Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Victor Liu is a partner in a business law group and leads the Cannabis Group at Goodmans. He is also a member of the firm’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
Victor’s practice focuses on public and private mergers and acquisitions as well as corporate finance. Victor also counsels early-stage private enterprises in diverse industries, including pharmaceutical, renewable energy, interactive media, health care and real estate, on their growth financings, shareholders agreements and governance, as well as strategic initiatives.
As a part of the firm’s emerging business initiative, Victor volunteers as a “legal counsel in residence” at the DMZ at Ryerson University, one of Canada’s largest business incubators for emerging tech startups, providing legal advice and mentorship to some of Canada’s most promising startups.
True to Goodmans entrepreneurial focus, Victor has been providing expert legal advice and service to enterprising pioneers in the cannabis industry since 2013, bringing clarity to the rapidly evolving legal and regulatory landscape and providing strategic guidance for their growth and success. Victor is fluent in Cantonese.
Victor’s representative work includes acting for:
- Cura Partners, one of the world’s largest cannabis companies, in connection with its $75 million convertible debenture financing, the $1 billion sale to Curaleaf and the sale of its CBD business to Sentia Wellensss
- underwriters in connection with multiple equity, convertible debentures and subscription receipt financings, and their RTO, by Fire & Flower, a leading purpose-built, independent adult-use cannabis retailer in Canada
- Mettrum Health, one of the earliest, largest and most successful licensed producers of medical cannabis in Canada, from its formation in 2013, through its growth and culminating in its sale in early 2017 for over $430 million
- CSL Capital Management, a private equity firm, in the establishment of a pure-play North American land pressure pumping joint venture with Baker Hughes and Goldman Sachs’ merchant banking division
- Gibraltar Growth Corporation in its acquisition of LXR Luxury Products, the final successful Qualifying Acquisition of Canada’s “First Generation” SPACs
- Birch Communications, a leading U.S. provider of communications, network and cloud services, in its first international expansion through the acquisition of select assets and customers of Primus Telecommunications
- Golf Town Canada in its CCAA restructuring and sale to Fairfax Financial Holdings and funds managed by CI Investments
- CJF Capital Partners, in connection with its equity and debt financing of a developer, owner and operator of clean energy storage assets, representing one of the first non-recourse funding facilities in the North American renewable energy storage industry
- Co-op Atlantic in its CCAA restructuring and the sale of its corporate food and gas retail stores and wholesale assets to Sobeys, its bulk fuel and wholesale business to CST Canada and its agricultural business assets to La Coop Fédérée
- CML HealthCare in its $1.22 billion acquisition by LifeLabs and the concurrent multi-pronged divestiture of its diagnostic imaging business
- SkyPower in connection with its sale of 16 solar power projects to Canadian Solar and the ongoing development by SkyPower of international solar power projects
Since 2001, Victor has been on the board of directors of the Hong Kong-Canada Business Association (Toronto chapter). In 1999, Victor worked for eight months in the firm’s Hong Kong office, where he gained valuable insight and experience in China-related matters. Upon his return to Toronto, Victor has remained active in Toronto’s Canada/China business community.
Victor is a frequent participant and panelist at Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers events and the annual Asian Canadian Law Students Conference.
|Education|| University of Toronto (J.D., 1998)
Queen's University (B.A., 1995)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||