"80 Goodmans lawyers ranked as top-tier in 31 areas of law." - Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Goodmans Deals & Cases

This section contains brief summaries of selected significant cases and transactions.  You'll also find representative lists  - by year - of major transactions and cases where Goodmans' involvement is a matter of public record or where inclusion in the list has been authorized by our clients.

Newmont Mining Acquires Fronteer Gold for $2.3 Billion

2011

Areas Commercial Real Estate, Competition, Antitrust and Foreign Investment, Corporate Finance and Securities, Litigation, Mining and Natural Resources, Tax

Summary

Goodmans represented Newmont Mining Corporation in its acquisition of all of the outstanding common shares of Fronteer Gold Inc. by way of a court-approved plan of arrangement on April 6, 2011. Under the arrangement, shareholders of Fronteer Gold received, for each common share of Fronteer Gold, C$14.00 in cash and one common share in Pilot Gold Inc., a TSX-listed company which owns a portfolio of exploration properties in Nevada, Turkey, and Peru formerly owned by Fronteer. Upon completion of the transaction, the former Fronteer Gold shareholders held an aggregate 80.1% interest in Pilot Gold, with Newmont holding the remaining 19.9% interest. The acquisition of Fronteer Gold has expanded Newmont’s growth profile in North America and complements its existing project pipeline in Nevada. The assets acquired by Newmont include a 100% interest in the Long Canyon project, a Carlin-type deposit which is located approximately one hundred miles from Newmont's existing infrastructure in Nevada and provides the potential for significant development and operating synergies. As part of the acquisition Newmont also acquired Fronteer’s interests in the Northumberland and Sandman projects in Nevada, among other assets, which offer further upside potential for Newmont’s portfolio.