All in the Corporate Family: Parent-Subsidiary Relations and Best Practices
In today’s global economy, corporate groups have become more complex, creating compliance and risk challenges at both the parent and subsidiary level. Balancing the need for oversight and jurisdictional and corporate compliance with the desire for financial and operational effectiveness is becoming more difficult than ever.
Recent court decisions in Canada and abroad have addressed concepts of corporate separateness and piercing the corporate veil. Organizations must understand these developments to avoid the potential pitfalls of corporate groups.
While every situation is unique, the panel will address best practices to protect corporate interests in light of the recent decisions. Experts in corporate law and litigation will discuss topics including:
- Piercing the corporate veil – when are you at risk?
- Maintaining separate corporate personality in corporate groups.
- How corporate policies may give rise to liability for parent corporations
Original Program Date:
Thursday, September 12, 2019
1.25 Substantive Hours
For more information, email CPD@goodmans.ca or contacts Sandra Montanino at 416.597.4156
For Members of the Ontario Bar:
Viewing archived webcasts, video replays, or other recorded program formats without a colleague is eligible towards the LSO's annual CPD requirement for up to 6 hours per calendar year. You are not subject to the 6 hour cap if you view it with a colleague. This Goodmans Presents archive can be counted toward your CPD Hours.
To report watching this archived recording in your LSO Portal:
1. Log in to the LSO Portal, and click on "CPD" from the left hand navigation menu.
2. Click on the "Add" button found just below your summary of hours in the Details section.
3. Activity Type: Select "CPD Program or Course" from the drop down menu.
4. Fill in the fields as follows:
Area of Law: Corporate/Commercial
Program Name: All in the Corporate Family: Parent-Subsidiary Relations and Best Practices
Provider: Goodmans LLP
Start and End Date: [Insert Date Viewed]
- Substantive Hours: 1
- Substantive Minutes: 15
- Professionalism Hours: 0
- Professionalism Minutes: 0
- EDI Hours: 0
- EDI Minutes: 0
Other Information: Attended a panel discussion with P. Kolla, K. MacKay, C. Rhea and J. Rosenthal of Goodmans LLP discussing best practices in managing parent-subsidiary relations [Insert Date Viewed].
5. Click “Submit” and confirm “Yes” to the entry.
When you select "CPD" from the left hand column, you will see the program in your list of CPD activities and the time will be entered against your substantive hours requirement.
For your reference, the LSO Record Keeping Standards can be found here.