Goodmans Presents: Developments in Securities Class Action Litigation
|Lawyer||David Conklin, Alan Mark|
June 4th, 2013
7:30 – 8:00 a.m.
Breakfast and Registration
8:00 – 9:30 a.m.
Class action litigation in Canada continues to evolve at a rapid pace. In the field of securities litigation, growth has been fuelled by the introduction of a statutory secondary market liability regime.
Dealing with complex national or multi-national securities class actions presents many challenges and practical pitfalls for issuers, directors and officers. Our presenters will discuss trends, issues and best practices from the leave and certification stage of a trial, including:
- the increasing frequency of securities class actions
- the standard for obtaining leave to proceed with secondary market liability claims
- the test for certification
- strategic choices for answering leave and certification motions
- collecting and preserving fact and expert evidence
- cost awards
- trends in settlements