Goodmans Presents: When Your Estate Planning Crosses the Border
|Area||Estate and Trust Litigation|
In an increasingly globalized world, it has become commonplace for individuals to hold multiple citizenships and have assets in more than one country. Many Canadians hold dual U.S. citizenship, have a vacation home in the U.S., or have significant U.S. investments. Where there are assets in, or connections to, other jurisdictions, specialized estate planning is often required.
Join Goodmans’ partner Maureen Berry and Carol Fitzsimmons of Hodgson Russ LLP to discuss estate planning for individuals with U.S. connections, including:
- Planning for Canadians who hold property or other assets in the U.S.
- Planning for Canadians with U.S. citizenship, or with U.S. citizen family members
- Integration of Canadian and U.S. estate planning
- Expected and potential changes to the U.S. estate tax under the new U.S. administration
- Compliance matters related to cross-border holdings
Emily Hubling, Goodmans LLP
Maureen Berry, Goodmans LLP
Carol Fitzsimmons, Hodgson Russ LLP
Original Program Date:
June 20, 2017
1 Substantive Hour
For more information, email CPD@goodmans.ca or contacts Sandra Montanino at 416.597.4156
For Members of the Ontario Bar:
Viewing archived webcasts, video replays, or other recorded program formats without a colleague is eligible towards the LSO's annual CPD requirement for up to 6 hours per calendar year. You are not subject to the 6 hour cap if you view it with a colleague. This Goodmans Presents archive can be counted toward your CPD Hours.
To report watching this archived recording in your LSO Portal:
1. Log in to the LSO Portal, and click on "CPD" from the left hand navigation menu.
2. Click on the "Add" button found just below your summary of hours in the Details section.
3. Activity Type: Select "CPD Program or Course" from the drop down menu.
4. Fill in the fields as follows:
Area of Law: Wills, Estate Law
Program Name: When Your Estate Planning Crosses the Border
Provider: Goodmans LLP
Start and End Date: [Insert Date Viewed]
- Substantive Hours: 1
- Substantive Minutes: 0
- Professionalism Hours: 0
- Professionalism Minutes: 0
- EDI Hours: 0
- EDI Minutes: 0
Other Information: Solo viewing of a webinar about using the art of improvisation to enhance communication, collaboration and presentation skills. [Insert Time Viewed]
5. Click “Submit” and confirm “Yes” to the entry.
When you select "CPD" from the left hand column, you will see the program in your list of CPD activities and the time will be entered against your substantive hours requirement.
For your reference, the LSO Record Keeping Standards can be found here.