Joe Cosentino at Construct Canada: Canada's Largest Building & Construction Show
|Area||Construction and Infrastucture|
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
9 a.m. - 12: 30 p.m: Construction Law Review: An Update on Understanding the Fundamentals of Bidding & Tendering, Contracts, Liens, Trusts, Bonds, and Dispute Resolution
Speaker: Joe Cosentino, Goodmans LLP
This session will focus on:
1. Tenders: Recent Developments in the law of tender in Canada
- What are the duties owed, who owes them and to whom?
- Do these duties matter in practice?
- What the Courts are saying about the process
- Fairness commissioners, who are they? Who need them?
- Process monitors, who are they and who needs them? Integrity of the bidding system: what is it and why do I care?
2. Contracts: Performance and Close-Outs
- How to choose the right standard form contract and make it fit
- What's new and different about the latest CCDC 2?
- Can anyone ever agree on supplementary conditions? A case study shows how it's done!
- What services and materials are lienable? Understanding what you can lien for under the Act.
- So you have a lien, what next? Learn about the critical timelines and the steps that must be taken to enforce your rights.
- You just learned that your lien may be defective, now what? Hear about Section 6 and what defects can be cured.
- Bankruptcy and Building Mortgages: Getting Paid. Learn how to get a Trustee appointed and come out on top of a mortgage priority dispute.
4. Bonds: Types of Surety Bonds – how do they work?
- Bid Bond
- Performance Bond- limits of coverage
- Labour and Material Payment Bond- who is a ‘claimant’ and how to make a successful claim
- Financial Guarantee Bond ( Lien Bond)
- Indemnification Agreement
5. Dispute Resolution:
- Implementing Effective Dispute Resolution Processes
- Tips and traps when entering a partnering agreement
- Role of ADR service providers
- Incorporating appropriate ADR clauses into contracts 3 BOMA Credits
For more information visit the Construct Canada Website
Construct Canada: Canada's Largest Building & Construction Show
November 28 -30, 2007
Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Toronto ON