Kate Lyons at the Canadian Institute’s Forum on Land Use And Development
|Area||Municipal, Planning and Property Tax|
Practical Strategies for Compliance and Ensuring the Success of Your Project
May 19 - 20, 2009
The Metropolitan Hotel
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
1:45: Navigating the Concerns of Conservation Authorities to Minimize Project Delays
Speaker: Kate Lyons, Partner, Goodmans LLP
This session will cover:
- Understanding the delegation of power to conservation authorities: how does this impact planning and development by municipalities and developers?
- Grasping conservation authorities’ recent policies on wetlands and site alterations
- Analyzing recent actions by conservation authorities
- are they becoming more involved in land use and development?
- Is there overlap between the various conservation authorities’ jurisdiction relating to planning applications and issues?
- how can municipalities and developers deal with this overlap?
- Best practices for developing a cooperative relationship with conservation authorities
- Successful strategies for drafting a Memorandum of Understanding with conservation authorities
- Exploring environmental assessment issues
- examining the recent trend of making environmental assessments a mandatory part of the development application: how does this impact municipalities and developers?
- Lessons learned from recent case law concerning conservation
For more information, please click here.