The View of "The Supremes" & Friends: Corporate Counsel's Use of Arbitration and Mediation
This discussion was targeted at helping corporate counsel choose the best dispute resolution mechanism for a contract, with former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada, the Right Honourable Beverley McLachlin, P.C., C.C, CStJ, FCIArb, former Supreme Court of Canada Justice the Honourable Thomas Cromwell, C.C. and arbitrator & mediator, Daniel Urbas, FCIArb, all now arbitrators and mediators.
The use of arbitration and mediation in Canada with respect to disputes about business disputes is growing. Our speakers joined advocate, arbitrator & mediator Peter Ruby, Goodmans LLP, to explore arbitration and mediation topics, including:
- In what situations is arbitration preferable to litigation
- When is mediation the right tool for the job
- What are the differences in approach of a judge, arbitrator and mediator
- Tips for drafting dispute resolution clauses
- Diversity and inclusion in arbitration and mediation
About our Panel:
Original Program Date:
Wednesday, October 28, 2020
1 Substantive Hour
For more information, email CPD@goodmans.ca or contact Sandra Montanino at 416.597.4156
For Members of the Ontario Bar:
Viewing archived webcasts, video replays, or other recorded program formats without a colleague is eligible towards the LSO's annual CPD requirement for up to 6 hours per calendar year. You are not subject to the 6 hour cap if you view it with a colleague. This Goodmans Presents archive can be counted toward your CPD Hours.
To report watching this archived recording in your LSO Portal:
1. Log in to the LSO Portal, and click on "CPD" from the left hand navigation menu.
2. Click on the "Add" button found just below your summary of hours in the Details section.
3. Activity Type: Select "CPD Program or Course" from the drop down menu.
4. Fill in the fields as follows:
Area of Law: Arbitration/Mediation
Program Name: Corporate Counsel's Use of Arbitration and Mediation
Provider: Association of Corporate Counsel and Goodmans LLP
Start and End Date: [Insert Date Viewed]
- Substantive Hours: 1
- Substantive Minutes: 0
- Professionalism Hours: 0
- Professionalism Minutes: 0
- EDI Hours: 0
- EDI Minutes: 0
Other Information: : Solo viewing of an archived webinar program moderated by P. Ruby of Goodmans LLP with The Right Honourable B. McLachlin, The Honourable T. Cromwell and D. Urbas discussing arbitration and mediation topics of importance to corporate counsel [Insert Time Viewed].
5. Click “Submit” and confirm “Yes” to the entry.
When you select "CPD" from the left hand column, you will see the program in your list of CPD activities and the time will be entered against your substantive hours requirement.
For your reference, the LSO Record Keeping Standards can be found here.