Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Andrew Harmes is an associate in the Corporate Restructuring Group at Goodmans, which is consistently and widely recognized as Canada’s best and leading corporate restructuring practice.
Andrew is developing his practice in the areas of corporate and commercial law, with an emphasis on corporate restructurings and related transactions. His experience includes recapitalizations, acquisitions, commercial financing transactions, receivership proceedings, and corporate and insolvency restructurings.
Andrew has represented debtors, secured and unsecured lenders and bondholders, court-appointed officers, plan sponsors, purchasers and other key stakeholders advising in a range of complex restructurings, financings, acquisitions and related transactions.
Andrew’s representative work includes:
Corporate Recapitalization Transactions
- Company counsel on a number of corporate recapitalization transactions, including Sherritt International Corporation, Bellatrix Exploration and RGL Reservoir Management.
- Counsel to the recapitalization plan sponsors of Jupiter Resources and Stoneway Capital Corporation.
Commercial Insolvency Matters
- Debtor counsel on a number commercial insolvency restructuring, including Bellatrix Exploration, Metro 360 General Partnership, DEL Equipment, and Toys “R” Us Canada.
- Debtholder counsel on a number of commercial insolvency restructurings, including Tailored Brands Group, Skillsoft Corporation, Hollander Sleep Products, Jack Cooper Transport, Bondfield Construction and Forma-Con Construction.
- Monitor or trustee counsel on a number of commercial insolvency restructurings, including Forever 21 Canada, Ingenious Packaging, North America Milling, and Nortel Networks.
- Purchaser counsel in connection with the sale of Carillion Canada’s services business in Carillion Canada’s insolvency proceedings.
- Counsel to the existing second-lien lender in connection with Goodlife Fitness’ $310 million loan from Canada Enterprise Emergency Funding Corp. under the Large Employer Emergency Financing Facility program.
- Counsel to the ad hoc term lenders of Tailored Brands Group in connection with its US$870 million exit financing.
- Counsel to a private equity group in connection with the notes offering of Zenabis Global (formerly Sun Pharm).
Andrew is recognized as a Rising Star in the area of Restructuring and Insolvency by IFLR Canada and The Legal 500 Canada. He is also recognized in the inaugural 2022 edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Canada.
PROFESSIONAL INVOLVEMENT AND CHARITY WORK
Andrew is the co-author of the Canada Chapter of the 2nd Edition of INSOL International’s book “Treatment of Secured Claims in Insolvency and Pre-Insolvency Proceedings II”, and papers presented at the 2018 and 2016 Six-Minute Debtor-Creditor and Insolvency Lawyer seminars. Andrew also was a moderator at the Ontario Bar Association’s Murray Klein Award panel “From the Brink – Asset Backed Commercial Paper and 3rd Party Releases.” Andrew is a past winner of the Insolvency Institute of Canada Law Student Writing Award.
Andrew is a member of the executive committee of the Big Brother’s Big Sisters of Toronto Young Leaders organization and the social media committee of the Turnaround Management Association (Toronto chapter).
|Education|| Osgoode Hall Law School (J.D., 2016)
Dalhousie University (B.A., with Distinction, Political Science and Canadian Studies, 2014)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||