Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Brenda Gosselin is a partner in a business law group, and a member of the Professional Standards and Conflicts Review Committee and the Directorships Committee at Goodmans.
Her practice is transaction based, involving all areas of corporate and securities laws, with particular emphasis on corporate finance, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, shareholder rights and activism and corporate recapitalizations. Brenda is recognized for bringing a holistic approach to her practice and her ability to negotiate and close complex and innovative transactions.
Brenda regularly represents market participants, issuers and investors in public financings and private investments of debt and equity, including with respect to initial public offerings and follow-on financings, and on behalf of U.S. and offshore funds and institutional investors in Canadian capital markets transactions. She regularly advises boards of directors of public issuers on corporate governance matters, together with buyers and sellers in merger and acquisition transactions. Brenda also routinely acts on private equity fund formation and investment activities.
Brenda’s representative work includes acting for:
- the issuer in numerous initial public offerings including those by Minto Apartment REIT, Milestone Apartments REIT and NorthWest Healthcare Properties REIT and the underwriters in the initial public offering of BoatRocker Media Inc.
- the issuer in numerous follow on public offerings, including those by RioCan REIT, Minto Apartment REIT, and Morneau Shepell Inc.
- investors and/or backstop providers in numerous private placements including those made by Senvest Management LLC, Slate Path Capital, Matrix Capital Management, Gramercy Funds Management LLC, and Oasis Investments II Master Fund Ltd
M&A and Private Equity
- Rogers Communications Inc. in its announced arrangement agreement with Shaw Communications in a deal valued at over $20 billion
- Special Committee of Dream Global REIT in its $6.2 billion acquisition agreement with Blackstone, representing the largest M&A REIT deal in Canadian history
- Relo Group Inc. in its $230 million acquisition of BGRS Limited
- CPPIB in its investments in venture capital funds including Northleaf Catalyst Venture Fund II and HarbourVest Canada Growth Fund
- Whitehorse Liquidity Partners Inc. in respect of the launch of Fund IV, its fourth flagship fund
Brenda is repeatedly recognized as a “Notable Practitioner” in IFLR 1000 in the areas of Capital Markets: Debt and Equity and Corporate/M&A. Most recently, Brenda was recognized in the area of Corporate Law by The Best Lawyers in Canada. She was also ranked as Repeatedly Recommended in Corporate Finance & Securities in The 2020 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and was recognized as a Capital Markets expert in Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law, 2021 and 2020. In 2017, Brenda was recognized as a “Leading Lawyer to Watch” for M&A in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and, in 2016, was recognized by Lexpert as one of Canada’s “Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40”.
Brenda is a member of the firms Capital Markets, Private Equity and REIT group as well as the Shareholder Rights and Activism Group at Goodmans. She is a member of the Securities Law Subcommittee of the Ontario Bar Association’s Business Law Section, a group which comments on proposed changes to securities legislation on behalf of the Ontario Securities Bar and coordinates continuing legal education programs on behalf of the Ontario Bar Association in the area of securities law.
|Education|| University of Western Ontario (LL.B., 2002)
University of Western Ontario (B.A., Administrative and Commercial Studies - Financial and Economic, 1999)
Ontario Bar Association
|Year of Call||