Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
David Rosner is a partner and heads the Competition, Antitrust and Foreign Investment Group at Goodmans. He provides strategic advice on all aspects of Canadian competition law, particularly with respect to complex mergers (including in regulated industries and mergers involving multi-jurisdictional review), alleged cartels and alleged abuses of dominance (including those involving technology and intellectual property). David also advises on mergers subject to the Investment Canada Act.
Drawing on his experience practising with a leading international law firm outside Canada, David translates the latest international competition law developments into strategic advantages for his clients in Canada.
David’s representative work includes acting for:
Canadian Competition Clearances for Large-Scale M&A
- Onex Corporation in its C$5 billion acquisition of WestJet Airlines Ltd., notably including clearances under the Canada Transportation Act
- Newmont Corporation in its US$10 billion merger with Goldcorp Inc., notably including clearance under the Competition Act and Investment Canada Act
- Altria Inc. on its C$2.4 billion investment in Cronos Group Inc., notably including clearance under the Investment Canada Act
- Essilor International S.A. in its €46-billion combination with Luxottica Group S.p.A.
- Linamar Corporation in its C$1.2 billion acquisition of the MacDon Group of Companies
- Henkel AG & Co. KGaA in its US$3.6 billion acquisition of The Sun Products Corporation
- a Canadian client in defence of a non-public abuse of dominance investigation by the Competition Bureau
- a non-Canadian client in defence of allegations of an agreement among competitors by the Competition Bureau
- a non-Canadian client in respect of an internal investigation arising from global price-fixing allegations
David is the only Canadian named in the Global Competition Review 40 under 40 in 2020, and one of Lexpert’s 2019 Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40. David is recognized as a leading competition lawyer by Chambers Canada and Chambers Global. He is also recognized as one of the most highly regarded North American partners by Who’s Who Legal: Competition – Future Leaders since 2017, which profiles the foremost practitioners in the competition community under 45. Clients describe David as “a sharp thinker with great analytical capabilities,” and praise his “straightforward practical advice.” In 2017, David was the only Canadian lawyer nominated by Global Competition Review for its Lawyer of the Year – Under 40 award.
David is an active member of the Canadian competition law community. He has been a professor at Osgoode Hall Law School and served as chair of several committees of the Canadian Bar Association's National Competition Law Section.
|Education|| Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B., 2005)
University of Winnipeg (B.A., 2002)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||