Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Matthew Lakatos-Hayward is an associate in Goodmans Environmental and Municipal, Planning, and Property Tax Group.
Matthew’s clients include developers and contractors, industrial and extractive industry businesses, investment funds, landowners, and farmers. He has also acted for municipalities and other public entities.
Matthew’s area of practice focuses on environmental law and land-use planning matters. Matthew regularly advises clients on securing approvals to redevelop lands, including with respect to planning approvals, municipal and construction approvals, environmental impact assessments, and environmental permits.
Matthew has appeared before the Federal Court of Canada, the Ontario Superior Court, and Provincial Offences Court. He also regularly appears before various administrative tribunals, including the Ontario Land Tribunal, the Normal Farm Practices Protection Board, and the Toronto Local Appeal Body. He has also appeared before municipal councils, the Committee of Adjustment, and multi-party arbitrations and mediations.
Matthew is developing his practice particularly in the areas of development impacts to natural features and site alteration. Matthew regularly advises clients on securing approvals to construct, regrade lands, or restore the agricultural viability of lands in areas governed by Conservation Authorities and municipal site alteration by-laws. He assists clients with complex arrangements between multiple municipalities, landowners, and excavators regarding the transportation and re-use of excess soils throughout the Province of Ontario.
Matthew also provides environmental advice on a variety of commercial transactions, project-related matters, and environmental compliance. He advises on the environmental risks associated with transactions and commercial leasing. He also assists companies with defending against enforcement measures taken by environmental regulators, including environmental prosecutions.
- Wind Point Partners and Voyant Beauty Inc., in the acquisition of the Canadian business of KIK Custom Products;
- Brookfield Infrastructure in its $4 billion sale of Enwave Energy Corporation to two Canadian investors and two US investors;
- the negotiation of a complex construction licencing, development, and density transfer agreement between a tall building site in Downtown Toronto with neighbouring properties;
- Profile Product LLC in its acquisition of Sunterra Horticulture Inc., one of the largest producers of professional-grade sphagnum peat moss in Canada;
- the negotiation of a complex compensation, limiting distance, and development arrangement between a developer and the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority.
Matthew is recommended by The Legal 500 Canada in the area of Environmental Law.
PROFESSIONAL INVOLVEMENT AND CHARITY WORK
Matthew is an executive member of the Ontario Bar Association’s Environmental Law section. He is involved in a number of mentorship initiatives for environmental law and LGBTQ2S+ professionals, including Start Proud, and LGBTQ2S+ Virtual Firm Hop.
|Education|| University of Ottawa (J.D., cum laude, 2018)
Carleton University (B.A in Political Science and Environmental Studies, Honours, High Distinction, 2014)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||