Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Michelle Vigod is a partner in a business law group and Co-Chair of the Corporate Securities Group at Goodmans. She has a broad transactional practice involving all aspects of corporate and securities law, with a particular focus on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and corporate finance. Michelle advises public and private companies on a broad range of domestic and cross-border transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, take-over bids, capital raising, corporate reorganizations and private equity transactions.
In addition to transactional work, Michelle provides ongoing advice to clients on matters relating to continuous disclosure obligations, corporate governance, legislative compliance and general corporate law.
Michelle’s recent transactional experience includes representing:
- The Special Committee of the Board of Brookfield Property Partners in its $6.5 billion privatization transaction
- Vertu Capital in connection with its sale of Firmex
- Ceridian in connection with its acquisition of Ideal
- Primo Water Corporation (formerly, Cott Corporation) in its acquisition of Primo Water for US$775 million, and on various matters including acquisitions, public offerings, private placements and other general corporate and securities law matters
- ZMC Capital in connection with its acquisition of Second City
- Brookfield Infrastructure in the sale of its interest in a Chilean transmission business for US$1.3 billion
- Vista Equity Partners in its acquisition of DH Corporation and combination of D+H with its portfolio company, Misys, for $4.8 billion
- Acasta Enterprises Inc. in connection with its qualifying acquisition of Apollo Health and Beauty Care Partnership, JemPak Corporation and Stellwagen Group with a total enterprise value of $1.1 billion
- Highbridge Principal Strategies LLC in connection with its acquisition of a non-controlling equity interest in GFL Environmental Inc. and the reorganization of share capital of GFL Environmental Inc.
- Brookfield Residential Properties Inc. in connection with its going-private transaction by Brookfield Asset Management, debt financings and other general corporate matters
In 2020, Michelle was honoured as one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40. She has also been recognized as a leading practitioner by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for mergers and acquisitions and private equity, the Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A 2022, IFLR 1000 for mergers and acquisitions and capital markets:debt and equity, and by Best Lawyers in Canada for corporate law, leveraged buyouts and private equity law and securities law.
Michelle is a member of the firm's technology group and is the co-chair of the firm's Women's Success Committee.
Michelle is an Adjunct Professor at the University of Toronto, Faculty of Law in the Global Professional Masters of Law Program where she teaches Business Organizations.
Michelle was called to the New York bar in 2009 and to the Ontario bar in 2012. Prior to joining Goodmans, Michelle was a corporate lawyer in the New York office of Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP.
|Education|| University of Toronto (J.D., 2008)
McGill University (B.Comm., with great distinction, Finance and Strategy, 2003)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||
2009 New York