Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Neill May is a partner, a member of the Executive Committee and a former Co-Chair of the Corporate Securities Group at Goodmans. His practice focuses on all aspects of securities law, with a particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance. Neill has developed a reputation for expertise in securities law and for his ability to negotiate and complete complex and innovative transactions.
Neill has counselled participants in numerous public and private M&A transactions, and has represented clients on both sides of friendly and hostile takeover bids. He has also structured and implemented a vast range of corporate reorganizations and financing transactions, including domestic and cross-border public offerings, and private strategic and venture capital financings.
Neill’s recent representative work includes acting for:
- A consortium led by Northern Private Capital, an investment firm led by John Risley and Andrew Lapham, in its $1 billion acquisition of MDA, Canada’s leading space company, from Maxar Technologies, and the subsequent IPO of MDA
- Newmont Mining Corporation in its acquisition of Goldcorp Inc., its Nevada and Galore Creek joint ventures, and in various investments and divestments including Continental Gold Inc., Evrim Resources Corp., Irving Resources Inc., Maverix Metals Inc., Orosur Mining Inc., TMAC Resources Inc. and Red Lake Mines
- Clairvest Group Inc. and its managed funds in their investments in through NovaSource Power Services in the solar O&M businesses of Sunpower Corporation and First Solar, Inc., their investements in SST Solar Holdings, Inc., Power Overhaul LLC and Digital Media Solutions, LLC, their divestment of Lyophilization Services of New England, Inc., their investment in and divestment of Cieslok Media Ltd. and Also Energy Inc., and the sale by their subsidiary Discovery Air Inc. of its fire services division
- Brookfield Asset Management Inc. in connection with its investments in Superior Plus Corp. and Chorus Aviation Inc.
- Power Corporation of Canada in connection with the proposed reorganization pursuant to which it would acquire 100% common share ownership of Power Financial Corporation
- Evergreen Coast Capital in its investments in Coveo Solutions, Inc.
- Abrams Capital Management and its affiliates in connection with its role as part of the shareholder group proposing to privatize Hudson’s Bay Company.
- Anchorage Capital Group, L.L.C. and JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. in their financing of Resolve-Class Naval Support Ship, m/v Asterix
- Cinram International Inc. in its sale to Najafi Companies
- Iovate Health Sciences International Inc. in its sale to Xiwang Foodstuffs Co., Ltd.
- CML HealthCare Inc. in its sale by way of plan of arrangement to LifeLabs Ontario Inc.
- L’Oréal USA and its affiliates in their acquisitions of three consumer brands from Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc. (now Bausch Health Companies Inc.) and in their investment in Functionalab Group
Neill is a former member of the Toronto Stock Exchange Listing Advisory Committee and the Ontario Securities Commission’s Securities Advisory Committee and Small Business Advisory Committee. He has co-authored reports for the Ontario Securities Commission Task Force on small business financing. Neill is a former Adjunct Professor at the University of Toronto - Faculty of Law and heads the firm’s continuing legal education committee.
|Education|| University of Toronto (LL.B., 1990)
Law Society of Ontario