Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Victor Liu is a partner in a business law group and leads the Cannabis Group at Goodmans.
Victor’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions as well as corporate finance. Victor also counsels early-stage enterprises in diverse industries on their growth financings, governance and strategic initiatives, ranging from fintech, crypto, mobile gaming and interactive media to pharmaceutical, renewable energy and healthcare.
As a part of the firm’s emerging business initiative, Victor volunteers as a “legal counsel in residence” at the DMZ at Ryerson University, a world-leading incubator for tech startups, providing legal advice and mentorship to some of Canada’s most promising startups.
True to Goodmans entrepreneurial focus, Victor has been providing expert legal advice to pioneers in the cannabis industry since 2013, bringing clarity to the rapidly evolving legal and regulatory landscape and providing strategic guidance for their growth and success.
- Coinbase, a leading provider of end-to-end financial infrastructure and technology for the cryptoeconomy and the operator of the largest cryptocurrency exchange, with its Canadian regulatory and operational matters
- PopReach Corporation, a free-to-play game publisher of mobile games, from its early stage financings, through its 2020 RTO and public listing on the TSX Venture Exchange and subsequent equity financings, as well as its M&A activities
- Capital market transactions, including IPO, RTO, Qualifying transactions as well as equity, convertible debentures, subscription receipt and ATM financings for cannabis industry participants, including Fire & Flower, a leading purpose-built, independent adult-use cannabis retailer, as well as multiple Special Purpose Acquisition Corporations (SPAC)
- Delivra, a specialty biotechnology company with a proprietary transdermal delivery system platform and the manufacturer of the LivReliefTM line of products, in connection with its acquistion by Harvest One, a global cannabis company.
- Cura Partners, one of the world’s largest cannabis companies, in connection with its $75 million convertible debenture financing, the $1 billion sale to Curaleaf
- Mettrum Health, one of the earliest, largest and most successful licensed producers of medical cannabis in Canada, from its formation in 2013 and culminating in its sale in early 2017 for over $430 million to Canopy Growth
- Ad hoc committee of lenders in its successful $1.2 billion credit bid acquisition of Cirque du Soleil pursuant to a coordinated CCAA and U.S. Chapter proceedings
- CSL Capital Management, a private equity firm, in the establishment of a pure-play North American land pressure pumping joint venture with Baker Hughes and Goldman Sachs’ merchant banking division
- Birch Communications, a leading U.S. provider of communications, network and cloud services, in its first international expansion through the acquisition of select assets and customers of Primus Telecommunications
- Golf Town Canada in its sale to Fairfax Financial Holdings and funds managed by CI Investments
- Co-op Atlantic in the sale of its (a) corporate food and gas retail stores and wholesale assets to Sobeys, (b) bulk fuel and wholesale business to CST Canada and (c) agricultural business assets to La Coop Fédérée
- CML HealthCare in its $1.22 billion acquisition by LifeLabs and the concurrent multi-pronged divestiture of its diagnostic imaging business
- SkyPower in connection with its sale of 16 solar power projects to Canadian Solar and the ongoing development by SkyPower of international solar power projects
Victor is recognized as a leading lawyer by The Legal 500 Canada and Best Lawyers in Canada.
In 1999, Victor worked for eight months in the firm’s Hong Kong office. Upon his return to Toronto, Victor has remained active in Toronto’s Canada-China business community.
Victor is a frequent participant at Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers events, including as a mentor at its annual speed mentoring event. Victor is also a volunteer with Goodmans LABB, providing free legal services to Black-owned businesses, and with Pro Bono Ontario through their Free Legal Advice Hotline.
|Education|| University of Toronto (J.D., 1998)
Queen's University (B.A., 1995)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||