Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Kari MacKay is a partner in a business law group and heads the Mining and Natural Resources Group at Goodmans. Her practice is transaction based, involving all aspects of corporate and securities law, with a particular emphasis on the structuring and execution of a variety of transactions, including complex international mergers and combination transactions and multi-creditor financing arrangements. Kari also assists companies with their governance and disclosure work. She often represents issuers, private companies and financing parties, many of which are in the Mining and Natural Resource sector.
In connection with her mining practice, Kari has extensive experience at all stages of project development, including with respect to acquisitions, royalty agreements, joint ventures, project financing, including royalty and streaming transactions, technical reporting, off-take agreements and dispositions of assets.
Kari’s representative work includes acting for:
- HudBay Minerals Inc. in connection with corporate and strategic initiatives, including its recent proxy contest launched by Waterton Resources; its various acquisitions, including Mason Resources Inc. (principal asset being the Ann Mason project in Nevada) and $540 million hostile take-over bid for Augusta Resources Corp. and subsequent $555 million friendly acquisition; US$920 million offerings of senior secured notes; the US$1.5 billion investment to fund the development and construction of its Constancia copper mine in Peru that included a US$750 million precious metals stream transaction with Wheaton Precious Metals Inc.
- Franco-Nevada Corporation in connection with its US$1.3 billion stream financing transaction with First Quantum Minerals Ltd. in respect of its Cobre Panama project; US$120 million stream financing transaction, in syndication with Sandstorm Gold Inc., to True Gold Mining Inc.; and its US$135 million stream financing transaction with Teranga Gold Corporation
- Coeur Mining, Inc. in connection with various acquisitions and dispositions of assets, financing matters and technical reporting, including the recent acquisitions of JDS Silver Holdings, Ltd. (principal asset: Silvertip mine in B.C.) and Northern Empire Resources Corp. (principal asset: Sterling project in Nevada)
- Gramercy Funds Management in connection with its various investments in Banro Corporation, and the restructuring of Banro pursuant to the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act
- Altus Group Limited in each of its offerings and over 30 acquisitions since its IPO in 2005
- clients with investments in mining projects in Canada, United States, Mexico, Peru, Argentina, Brazil and many North African countries.
Kari is recognized as a leading lawyer in Canada in the area of Mining and Natural Resources by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, The Legal 500 Canada and Best Lawyers in Canada.
Kari participated as a member of Canada's national sailing team and continues to be involved in the sport as the founder of Warrior Sailing Canada.
|Education|| University of Windsor (LL.B., 1997)
University of Detroit Mercy School of Law (LL.B., 1997)
Queen's University (B.Comm, 1994)
Law Society of Ontario