Michelle Roth is the founder and chair of Goodmans Aging & Healthcare division and President and CEO of SenbridGe, a division of Goodmans focusing on seniors living, healthcare and aging. In addition to providing ongoing and transaction-specific strategic advice to organizations, she handles a diverse range of M&A transactions involving health care assets. Michelle spent several years working in-house at healthcare organizations and her law practice has varied over the years to include healthcare transformation, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, banking and real estate. Michelle has specialized expertise in CMHC-backed debt financing, all levels of healthcare regulation and transactional industry mapping.
She has played an integral role in the formation and subsequent transactions of many of Canada’s largest seniors living providers and most recently led the external legal team for Revera Inc. in its joint venture transactions with Axium Infrastructure for a Canada-wide portfolio of long-term care communities. Michelle also led the legal teams for various multi-billion dollar joint venture transactions between Welltower Inc. and Revera Inc. Michelle is considered a foremost industry leader in Aging & Health. She has applied her broad based experience and creativity to complete numerous innovative transactions, including uniquely structured seniors living, pharmacy and private medical centre restructurings, REIT/REOC combinations, long-term care development projects and life science and pharmaceutical company initiatives. She has practiced in both Toronto and Vancouver.
Michelle’s representative work includes acting for:
- Revera Inc. in its joint venture partnership with Axium Infrastructure to share ownership of 32 of Revera’s long-term care homes in Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba and British Columbia
- Sienna Senior Living Inc. in its acquisition of 10 high-quality Ontario retirement residences for $382 million and $184 million common share offering
- Sienna Senior Living Inc. in its $138.4 million subscription receipt offering, the proceeds of which were used to partially fund the acquisition from BayBridge Seniors Housing of a seniors housing portfolio in British Columbia and a 50% interest in the manager and operator of the acquired seniors housing assets
- Welltower Inc. and Revera Inc. in their $374.4 million joint venture acquisition of Regal Lifestyle Communities Inc.
- HealthLease Properties REIT in connection with its acquisition by Health Care REIT, Inc. for C$1 billion
- Health Care REIT Inc. and Revera Inc. in connection with their US$2 billion joint venture resulting in shared ownership of 70+ Canadian retirement residences previously owned by Revera
- Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care and Jewish Homes for the Aged in various matters
SENBRIDGE BY GOODMANS
Michelle is the CEO of SenbridGe, a platform encompassing the firm’s growing complement of educational, networking and publication programs as well as its healthcare-related innovation and technology initiatives. For more information, see www.senbridge.ca.
Michelle has been recognized by The Globe and Mail and Lexpert for her work in cross-border transactions and as one of Canada’s Leading Lawyers. In 2018, she received the Lexpert Zenith Award recognizing mid-career excellence in the legal profession. Since 2014, Michelle has been recognized as a leading lawyer in the areas of corporate law and health care law by Best Lawyers in Canada. Chambers Canada 2017 has recognized Michelle as a leading lawyer in the area of REITs and clients say she is ‘smart, thorough and knows the issues - she’s interested in getting the deal done’.
Michelle is a frequent speaker and author in the health care space, was appointed as Lead Subject Matter Expert for REALpac’s Seniors Residential Caucus, and is a member of Thomson Reuter’s Commercial Transactions Advisory Board for Practical Law - Canada. Michelle has been a board member of several notable Toronto not-for-profit organizations, including the Royal Conservatory of Music, the Executive Cabinet for The Hospital for Sick Children and was Chair of the Regent Park School of Music.
Law Society of Ontario
Ontario Retirement Communities Association
Canada Bar Association
Ontario Bar Association