Calvin S. Goldman, Q.C. at the GCR Live 6th Annual Antitrust Law Leaders Forum
|Lawyer||Calvin S. Goldman, Q.C.|
|Area||Competition, Antitrust and Foreign Investment|
The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
1 Lincoln Road
Miami Beach, Miami, 33139
Saturday, February 4, 2017
11.00am - 12.45pm: Plenary: Enforcers or Regulators?
Speaker: Calvin S. Goldman, Q.C.
As many markets become more complex and globalized, competition authorities are facing increasingly challenging decisions with respect to their review of transactions and conduct by firms with large market shares. For some competition authorities, traditional antitrust enforcement tools may appear inadequate, leading the authorities to consider more regulation-style remedies. This panel will discuss the key issues underlying whether competition authorities are more likely to function as enforcers or regulators in the upcoming years:
- What is the role of politics in antitrust and regulatory policy, is it changing, and does it vary by jurisdiction?
- To what extent are workforce reductions a legitimate efficiency within the proper ambit of competition enforcers?
- How closely should competition authorities coordinate with sectoral regulators or other public authorities when reviewing transactions, particularly with respect to public interest considerations?
- What is the role of economists in designing regulatory remedies?
- Should the courts have a role in a regulatory approach to competition policy?
Click here for more information.