Goodmans Presents: Positioning Yourself for Success in Litigation
|Lawyer||Hannah Arthurs, Mark Dunn, Brad Halfin, Tamryn Jacobson, Suzy Kauffman|
7:30 am - 8:00 am - Breakfast/Networking
8:00 am - 9:30 am - Program
Litigation can be stressful, but with the right tools and the right team in place, you can position yourself for success. As in-house counsel or a business executive, you play a critical role in managing the litigation process.
This program will share strategies and tactics to help you effectively deal with the various dispute resolution issues and challenges that would typically arise in the context of litigation, including:
- Arbitration – Pros and cons of agreeing to arbitration and considerations for drafting arbitration clauses.
- Document collection and preservation – Identifying relevant documents, implementing preservation and collection processes and working with document management service providers.
- Confidentiality orders – When do you need to put them in place and how to most effectively obtain them? Protecting your organization’s confidential information and confidential third-party information.
- To settle or not to settle – When and how settlement offers can affect costs awards, using offers to settle strategically and key settlement terms.
- We won, now what? – Asset seizure and other remedies available to a successful litigant, including how to most effectively seize assets in other jurisdictions and what to do if your opponent is, or may be, unable to pay its debts.
Members of the Ontario Bar:
This session is eligible toward the substantive hours of the LSUC's annual CPD requirement