Goodmans deal chosen as “Top Deal of 2007” by Lexpert Magazine
Goodmans participated in 5 of the Top 10 Corporate Deals of 2007, including the top 2 deals of the year, as published in the January edition of Lexpert Magazine.
Goodmans was involved in the following top deals in 2007:
- Represented Teachers’ Private Capital, the private investment arm of the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, Providence Equity Partners Inc. and Madison Dearborn Partners in the $51.7 billion sale of BCE Inc. (Deal of the Year)
- Represented the syndicate of lenders in Rio Tinto's U.S. $38.1 billion acquisition of Alcan Inc.
- Represented CBS Corporation in connection with GS Capital Partners (the private equity arm of Goldman Sachs) and Can West Global Communications Corp.'s $2 billion acquisition of Alliance Atlantis Communications Inc.
- Represented Norilsk Nickel in its $6.8 billion acquisition of LionOre Mining International Ltd.
- Represented Four Seasons Hotels Inc. in connection with its US$3.7 billion privatization by Isadore Sharp and his holding company Triples Holdings Limited, Kingdom Hotels International and Cascade Investment, L.L.C.
In addition, Goodmans acted for Calpine Canada in its restructuring and CCAA proceedings, a deal chosen by Lexpert as one of its “Individual Picks/Dark Horses of the Past Year”.
Goodmans was also involved in 2 of the Top Ten Business Cases for 2007.
The cases listed include:
- the highly publicized Kerr v. Danier Leather Inc., where the Supreme Court of Canada upheld the dismissal of a shareholder class action against Danier Leather and two of its Senior Officers, holding that there had been no violation of securities laws in Danier's 1998 Initial Public Offering.
- re MuscleTech Research and Development Inc., the first Canadian company to commence proceedings under Chapter 15, clarifying the procedure and becoming a primary point of reference for cross-border practitioners for years to come.
For more information on the above corporate deals and cases, please visit our deals and cases section.