Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Brenda Gosselin is an experienced transactional lawyer who is recognized for bringing a holistic approach to her practice, advising and providing counsel to her clients on a broad range of corporate and securities laws matters, and her ability to negotiate and close complex and innovative transactions.
She is a partner at Goodmans, who practices in all areas of corporate and securities laws, with particular emphasis on corporate finance and securities law, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions and corporate restructurings.
Brenda advises public issuers on an ongoing basis with respect to corporate governance and continuous disclosure obligations. She also regularly represents market participants, issuers and investors in public financings and private investments of debt and equity, including with respect to initial public offerings and follow-up financings, and on behalf of US and offshore funds and institutional investors in Canadian PIPE transactions. She also has extensive experience acting for buyers and sellers in the context of merger and acquisition transactions within a wide range of industries. Brenda is a member of Goodmans’ REITs group, advising on numerous transactions within the REIT and real estate sector, and has played a leading role in a variety of corporate reorganizations, including domestic and cross-border recapitalizations, restructurings and corporate conversions. Brenda also has significant experience in respect of shareholder rights and activism matters including proxy contests representing both dissident shareholders and board of directors.
Brenda was recognized as a “Notable Practitioner” in IFLR 1000 2019 and 2018 in the areas of Capital Markets: Debt and Equity and Corporate/M&A. She was recognized as a “Leading Lawyer to Watch” for M&A in The 2017 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and in 2016, Brenda was recognized by Lexpert as one of Canada’s “Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40”.
Brenda actively participates in the securities law industry through her role as a member of the Securities Law Subcommittee of the Ontario Bar Association’s Business Law Section, a group which comments on proposed changes to securities legislation on behalf of the Ontario Securities Bar and coordinates continuing legal education programs on behalf of the OBA in the area of securities law.
Her recent transactional experience includes the representation of:
- Minto Apartment Real Estate Investment Trust in its $230 million initial public offering.
- RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust in its $250 million debenture offering, its $230 million equity offering, and its issuance of its preferred trust units for $125 million, being the first issue of preferred trust units by a Canadian REIT.
- Morneau Shepell Inc. in its $231 million equity offering and in connection with its $426 million acquisition of LifeWorks Corporation Ltd.
- Milestone Apartments Real Estate Investment Trust in its $228.5 million initial public offering, the first initial public offering in the world of a qualifying US REIT by a non-US entity.
- NorthWest Healthcare Properties REIT in its $187.5 million initial public offering.
- Backstop providers in connection with the US$50 million liquidity backstop facility for Mood Media by way of non-brokered private placement.
- Gramercy Funds Management LLC in connection with a $40 million financing for Banro Corporation, and a US$35.5 million liquidity backstop facility for Banro, each by way of non-brokered private placement.
- Sherritt International on its extension of the maturity dates on $720 million worth of outstanding notes pursuant to a plan of arrangement under the CBCA.
- Masonite International Corporation in connection with the financial restructuring and emergence from protection under the CCAA in Canada pursuant to a plan of arrangement under the CBCA, reducing Masonite’s debt on completion from US$2.2 billion to less than US$2 million of debt.
- Tembec Inc. in its US$1.2 billion recapitalization transaction under the CBCA.
- Revera Inc. on its acquisition of a majority stake in Sunrise Senior Living management company, and its acquisition of Comcare Health Services.
- The concerned shareholder group of RX Exploration Inc. in its successful bid to remove RX’s chairman of the board and other key directors.
|Education|| University of Western Ontario (LL.B., 2002)
University of Western Ontario (B.A. (Administrative and Commercial Studies - Financial and Economic), 1999)
Ontario Bar Association
|Year of Call||