Calvin S. Goldman, Q.C.
Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Cal Goldman is a co-chair of the Competition, Antitrust and Foreign Investment Group at Goodmans LLP. His practice covers all aspects of Canadian competition law, with a particular emphasis on Canadian and international mergers, abuse of dominance, cartels and civil reviewable matters and related litigation as well as foreign investment matters under the Investment Canada Act. Over the years and in recent years Cal has acted as counsel in a number of leading competition law and foreign investment review cases in Canada.
Cal is a former Director (since renamed “Commissioner”) of the Competition Bureau in the Canadian government and a former Vice Chair of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (“OECD”) Competition Committee. In the 1990s, Cal successfully represented the Attorney General of Canada as special counsel in the appellate proceedings (which included the Supreme Court of Canada) on the constitutional validity of Section 45 (the cartel provision) of the Competition Act. He was appointed Queen’s Counsel by the Canadian Government while he was head of the Competition Bureau. Cal was the first appointee to the Soloway Chair of Business and Trade Law, University of Ottawa.
Cal is a Special Advisor to the Business at OECD Competition Committee (BIAC). He also is co-chair of the International Chamber of Commerce Task Force on the International Competition Network. Cal is co-chair of the Future of Competition Law Standards Task Force of the American Bar Association’s Antitrust Law Section (‘ABA ALS”). He was co chair (2017-2019) of the National Interest and Competition Law Task Force of the ABA ALS. In 2013-2015, he was co-chair of the Foreign Investment and Antitrust Interface Task Force of the ABA ALS. He has held a number of other earlier leadership positions in the ABA ALS, including as co chair of the Section’s International Task Force. He also is a former chair of the National Competition Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association.
Cal continues to be recognized as a leading competition lawyer in a number of legal directories and guides, including Who’s Who Legal; Chambers Canada; Best Lawyers in Canada; The Legal 500 Canada; and Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
In recent years, Cal has represented:
- The Vancouver Airport Authority in the defense of the Commissioner of Competition’s abuse of dominance application before the Competition Tribunal.
- Spectra Energy Corp in its merger with Enbridge Inc. for $37 billion in stock, creating the largest energy infrastructure company in North America.
- Cintas Corporation in its acquisition of G&K Services, Inc. for total consideration of approximately US$2.2 billion.
- 7-Eleven Canada Inc. in its acquisition of 144 retail gasoline sites from Imperial Oil.
- Vista Equity Partners in its agreement to acquire DH Corporation and combine D+H with its portfolio company, Misys for $4.8 billion.
- The NHL in relation to the review by the Canadian Competition Bureau of the 12-year, $5.2 billion agreement between Rogers and the NHL with respect to broadcasting rights for NHL hockey games in Canada.
- The Mark Anthony Group in the sale of its ready-to-drink and other assets, including the Mike’s Hard Lemonade brand, in Canada, to Ambev.
- The Match Group, a subsidiary of IAC/InterActiveCorp in connection with its US$575 million acquisition of PlentyOfFish Media Inc.
- Postmedia Network Canada Corp. in its acquisition of Sun Media’s English language newspapers and digital properties across Canada.
- Park’N Fly as regulatory counsel in connection with the sale of its national car park business assets and operations in Canada to a joint venture led by Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings Limited and Cheung Kong (Holdings) Limited.
Cal also has been involved as defence counsel in Canadian and international cartel matters, from earlier cases pertaining to fax paper, lysine and vitamins through to more recent cases pertaining to auto parts and other product markets. In addition, he has been involved as defence counsel in abuse of dominance matters.
Cal has published extensively and spoken widely in Canada, the United States, Europe and Asia on the subjects of competition law, foreign investment review and trade practices. He also has spoken on various panels on the interface of foreign investment/national interest reviews with competition reviews. He is editor (2013, 2017 and 2018) and co-editor (2019) of the Foreign Investment Regulation Review (Law Business Research).
|Education|| Harvard Law School (LL.M.)
Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B. (Gold Medalist))
Canadian Bar Association