Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
David Matlow is a partner in a business law group at Goodmans. His practice is transaction based, involving all aspects of corporate and securities law, with a particular emphasis on private equity fund formation and secondary transactions, as well as on sports matters.
David also assists companies and sports organizations with their governance matters and, in respect of family-owned businesses, inter-generational shareholder arrangements.
David’s representative work includes acting for:
- Clairvest Group Inc. in the formation of Clairvest Equity Partners VI Limited Partnerships, a US$850 million fund
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in numerous commitments to private equity funds in North America and internationally
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in numerous secondary purchases and sales of interests in private equity funds
- Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. with respect to the expansion of Major League Soccer into Canada to form Toronto FC
- the major investor with respect to the expansion of Major League Rugby into Toronto to form the Toronto Arrows
- RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust with respect to various matters
- Clairvest Group Inc. with respect to various matters
David is recommended as a leading lawyer by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (corporate finance/securities, M&A, private equity), The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (corporate and corporate mid-market), The Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada (corporate finance and securities, M&A), The Lexpert Special Edition on Canada’s Leading Corporate Lawyers, Chambers Global (corporate/M&A), IFLR 1000 (M&A) and The Best Lawyers in Canada (corporate, M&A, securities and private equity).
PROFESSIONAL INVOLVEMENT AND PRO BONO
David is the immediate past Chair of the Jewish Foundation of Greater Toronto and a member of the Board of Directors of the Ontario Jewish Archives and the iCenter for Israel Education and the National Marketing Committee of State of Israel Bonds (Canada). He was the co-chair of Toronto’s 2015 United Jewish Appeal Campaign. David produced a 52-minute documentary film entitled “My Herzl” and owns the world’s largest collection of Theodor Herzl memorabilia, which he has exhibited and spoken about in Canada, the United States and Israel.
|Education|| University of Toronto (LL.B., 1984)
Law Society of Ontario