Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Howard Wise is a partner in the Litigation Group and heads the Construction and Infrastructure Group at Goodmans. He specializes in the areas of construction law and commercial litigation.
Howard represents owners, general contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers and lenders in large construction disputes, including construction liens, contract claims and negligence claims. Howard’s litigation practice includes trial and appellate work, as well as mediation and arbitration of construction disputes. He has also negotiated complex construction contracts, including design-build agreements and EPC contracts.
Howard’s representative work includes acting for:
- a large general contractor in respect of claims in connection with the construction of a rail/subway system involving several parties and issues surrounding design, delay and construction
- a contractor in respect of a claim relating to the expansion of a mine located in New Brunswick
- a trade contractor in respect the design-build construction of a new hospital project located in the North West Territories
- a national general contractor in respect of an arbitration in relation to a streetcar storage and maintenance facility
- an international contracting company in respect of an international arbitration relating to a project based in Africa
- a contractor in relation to the construction of the Herb Gray Parkway located in Windsor, Ontario
- a contractor in respect of the construction and expansion of a hydroelectric dam project located in Northern Ontario
- owners, contractors and subcontractors in respect of P3, design-build or design-bid based contracts, including structuring of the transaction
Howard is recognized as a leading practitioner of construction law by Chambers Canada, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Law Business Research’s International Who’s Who of Construction Lawyers and Who’s Who Legal: Canada, and Best Lawyers in Canada, and has been listed as one of the top 500 lawyers by Lexpert/American Lawyer Media’s Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada. He has also been recognized as a leading infrastructure lawyer by the Lexpert Special Edition on Canada’s Leading Infrastructure Lawyers in the Globe & Mail’s Report on Business Magazine. He is certified by the Law Society of Ontario as a specialist in construction law.
Howard is a frequent lecturer to both legal and industry-based associations on various topics relating to construction law, including design-build contracts, bidding and tendering, and construction liens.
Howard is the author of the Manual of Construction Law published by Carswell and co-author of Bristow, Glaholt, Reynolds and Wise on Construction, Builders’ and Mechanics’ Liens in Canada (7th edition), the leading text in the area of construction lien law. He is a contributing author to Construction Disputes: Representing the Contractor, published by Aspen Publications, New York, and the contributing editor of Canadian Forms & Precedents: Construction Liens, published by Butterworths.
|Education|| Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B., 1983)
Law Society of Ontario