Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Justine is an associate in a business law group at Goodmans.
Her practice focuses on all aspects of competition, and foreign investment review, with particular emphasis on domestic and multinational mergers and joint ventures. Her clients span a variety of industries, including energy, mining, technology, pharmaceutical, consumer products, transportation, private equity, financial services, manufacturing, and real estate.
She provides strategic advice to clients in respect of criminal and civil investigations, including allegations of conspiracy and abuse of dominance, as well as other reviewable practices and compliance matters. She has extensive experience with e-discovery, including conducting internal investigations and complying with supplementary information requests (SIRs) and section 11 orders under the Competition Act.
She regularly advises domestic and foreign clients in respect of foreign investment review under the Investment Canada Act.
Justine’s representative work includes acting for:
- Onex Corporation in connection with its C$5 billion acquisition of WestJet Airlines Inc.
- Essilor International S.A. in connection with its €46-billion combination with Luxottica Group S.p.A.
- GE in connection with the merger of its Oil & Gas business with Baker Hughes to create a combined company with approximately $23 billion in annual revenue
- Bass Pro Group in connection with its US$5.5-billion acquisition of Cabela's
- a Canadian client in defence of criminal and civil class action allegations of price fixing
Foreign Investment Review
- Newmont Mining Corporation in connection with its US$10 billion merger with Goldcorp Inc.
- Altria Inc. in connection with its C$2.4 billion minority investment in the Cronos Group Inc.
Justine serves as the Co-Young Lawyer Representative of the ABA’s Section of Antitrust Law’s Competition Laws Outside the United States Committee. She serves as the Vice-Chair of the Canadian Bar Association’s (CBA’s) Competition Law Section’s Young Lawyers Committee. She also serves as the Member-At-Large of the Ontario Bar Association’s (OBA’s) Women Lawyers Forum Executive Committee.
Justine is the co-author of the “Canada” chapters of the 2019 Law Reviews’ Public Competition Enforcement Review and Foreign Investment Regulation Review. She is also the co-author of the “Private Actions in the United States, Canada and Europe” chapter of the 2018 Global Competition Review’s Guide to Energy Market Manipulation.
Justine regularly speaks on topics related to competition, foreign investment review, and women in law. Recent speaking engagements include the: CBA’s Competition Law Section’s Mergers and “Reviewable Matters / Unilateral Conduct Committees Joint Roundtable”, CBA’s Competition Law Section’s “ARC Requests and Market Definition 101” panel, and the OBA’s Women Lawyers Forum’s “On the Pathway to Power: Associates’ Roundtable”.
|Education|| University of Ottawa (J.D., cum laude, 2014)
University of Toronto (B.A., High Distinction, 2011)
Law Society of Ontario