Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Kabir Jamal is an associate in the Tax Group at Goodmans. Prior to joining Goodmans in 2014, Kabir was a tax associate at another leading Canadian law firm.
Kabir has experience in a wide variety of domestic and international taxation matters, including mergers & acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, corporate finance, tax litigation and dispute resolution as well as trusts and estates. He also regularly advises tax-exempt institutions (pension funds), private equity funds and real estate investment trusts.
- Acted for Vista Equity Partners in connection with its $4.8 billion acquisition of DH Corporation, a leading provider of technology solutions to financial institutions globally, through a plan of arrangement under the Business Corporations Act (Ontario) and its subsequent cash redemption of DH Corporation’s outstanding listed 5% and 6% convertible debentures.
- Acted for BCE Inc. in connection with its $3.95 billion privatization of Bell Aliant Inc. and the integration of its Atlantic Canada affiliate into BCE’s national operations, following its successful offer to purchase the outstanding publicly-held Bell Aliant common shares and its successful offer to exchange the outstanding publicly-held preferred shares of Bell Aliant Preferred Equity Inc. for newly issued preferred shares of BCE.
- Acted for OMERS Private Equity in connection with the sale of its portfolio company, Give & Go Prepared Foods Corp., to an affiliate of US private-equity firm Thomas H. Lee Partners, L.P.
- Acted for MMM Group Limited in connection with its acquisition by WSP Global Inc. through a plan of arrangement under the Business Corporations Act (Ontario) for a purchase price of approximately $425 million, which was paid in cash and shares.
- Acted for Atlantic Power Corporation and APLP Holdings Limited Partnership in connection with the completion of $900 million in new senior secured credit facilities, comprising $700 million in aggregate principal amount of senior secured term loan facilities and $200 million in aggregate principal amount of senior secured revolving credit facilities.
- Acted for Ironshore Pharmaceuticals & Development Inc. in connection with its completion of a US$200 million private placement of Senior Secured Notes due 2024.
- Acted for a syndicate of agents co-led by RBC Dominion Securities Inc., TD Securities Inc. and CIBC World Markets Inc., and including Scotia Capital Inc. and BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc., in connection with a public offering by H&R Real Estate Investment Trust of $200 million principal amount of floating rate senior unsecured debentures.
- Acted for Ainsworth Lumber Co. Ltd. in connection with its acquisition by Norbord Inc. in a $762.6 million all-share plan of arrangement to create a leading global wood products company.
- Acted for Postmedia Network Canada Corp. in connection with its $316 million acquisition from Quebecor Media Inc. of certain of Sun Media Corp.'s English language print assets, $173.5 million equity rights offering and $140 million debt subscription receipt offering.
- Acted for OMERS Private Equity in connection with its sale of Canadian healthcare IT company, Logibec Inc., to US private equity firm GI Partners.
- Acted for the vendors of Blair Franklin Asset Management Holdings Inc., the parent company of Blair Franklin Asset Management Inc., in connection with the sale of all of the outstanding shares of the parent company for approximately $70 million in cash and stock.
Kabir has written papers on a variety of income tax matters, including domestic and international corporate taxation, the taxation of executive compensation and the taxation of partnerships. Kabir is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, the Canadian Tax Foundation and the International Fiscal Association and is the former Chair of the Canadian Tax Foundation’s Young Practitioners’ Group (Toronto Branch).
|Education|| McGill University (LL.B., 2011)
McGill University (B.C.L., 2011)
Canadian Tax Foundation
|Year of Call||