Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Kari MacKay is a partner at Goodmans. Her practice focuses on all aspects of corporate and securities law, with particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and corporate governance.
Kari provides advice on the structuring and execution of a variety of M&A transactions, including complex international mergers and combination transactions. Her practice has included advising:
- HudBay Minerals Inc. in connection with corporate and strategic initiatives, including its $540 million hostile take-over bid for Augusta Resources Corp., and subsequent $555 million friendly acquisition; US$920 million offerings of senior secured notes; the US$1.5 billion investment to fund the development and construction of its Constancia copper mine in Peru that included a US$500 million note offering and a US$750 million precious metals stream transaction with Silver Wheaton Corp., its sale of its Fenix ferro nickel project in Guatemala and its $530 million supported take-over bid for Norsemont Mining Inc.;
- Franco-Nevada Corporation’s US$120 million stream financing transaction, in syndication with Sandstorm Gold Inc., to True Gold Mining Inc. to assist in the construction of a gold mine in Burkina Faso, West Africa; and its US$135 million stream financing transaction with Teranga Gold Corporation;
- Coeur Mining, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Global Royalty Corp. a Vancouver-based company holding precious metals royalty interests in operating mines located in Mexico and Ecuador; its PEA for La Preciosa Project in Mexico, its US$60 million acquisition of the Joaquin silver-gold project in Argentina and its US$1.1 billion acquisition of Bolnisi Gold NL and Palmarejo Silver and Gold Corporation;
- Pan-Canadian Third Party Asset-Backed Commercial Paper Investors Committee in the C$32 billion successful restructuring of third-party structured asset-backed commercial paper, in respect of which Kari led the Goodmans' team providing corporate and securities law advice; and
- Altus Group Income Fund in each of its offerings, its conversion and its 24 acquisitions since its IPO in 2005.
In the field of corporate finance, Kari represents both market participants and issuers in public financings and private investments of debt and equity. She also provides practical business advice on an ongoing basis to corporate clients relating to securities compliance and corporate governance matters.
Having completed a concurrent program, Kari graduated with both Canadian and U.S. law degrees and joined Goodmans in 1999. Kari has participated as a member of Canada's national sailing team and continues to compete in the sport.
|Education|| University of Windsor (LL.B., 1997)
University of Detroit (LL.B., 1997)
Queen's University (B.Comm, 1994)