Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Melaney Wagner is a partner in the Corporate Restructuring Group at Goodmans, which is consistently and widely recognized as Canada’s best and leading corporate restructuring practice.
She practises in the areas of commercial insolvency, restructuring, bankruptcy and financial services. Melaney is very active in a number of firm initiatives and committees, including women’s success initatives.
Melaney has participated in many significant Canadian and cross-border commercial matters and restructurings. Her experience includes restructurings under insolvency statutes, recapitalizations and arrangements under corporate statutes, commercial financing transactions, receivership proceedings and acquisitions. Melaney has acted for key parties in many complex matters. Her roles include acting as counsel for companies, monitors, receivers and trustees, government ministries and agencies, purchasers, and secured and unsecured debtholders, including private equity firms and other strategic investors.
Melaney’s representative work includes:
- Company counsel on numerous commercial insolvency restructurings, including Toys “R” Us Canada, Golf Town/Golfsmith, Armtec Infrastructure and Cinram International Inc.
- Monitor, receiver and/or trustee counsel on numerous commercial insolvency restructurings, including Target Canada, Nortel Canada, Tamerlane Ventures, Labrador Iron Mines, Extreme Fitness, TCT Logistics and Maksteel
- Counsel to the Province of Ontario in the commercial insolvency restructurings of Stelco and Essar Algoma
- Counsel to purchasers on distressed acquisitions, including acquisitions in the CCAA proceedings of Carillion Canada and HMV Canada
- Debtholder counsel on numerous commercial insolvency restructurings and recapitalizations, including Jaguar Mining, Catalyst Paper, Hollinger, Pliant Group and Ainsworth Lumber
- Company counsel on numerous corporate recapitalization transactions, including Tembec Inc. and Cinram International Inc.
Melaney is recognized as a leading insolvency and financial restructuring lawyer by a number of publications, including Best Lawyers in Canada, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Chambers Global, Who’s Who Legal and Legal Media Group Rising Stars. Earlier in her career, Melaney was honoured as one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40 and a “Corporate Lawyer to Watch” by the 2013 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada.
Melaney is highly praised by clients and peers and is described as:
- a "fantastic lawyer"
- "very diligent and skilled at structuring a transaction”
Melaney has been a speaker at legal education seminars and has co-authored a number of articles on insolvency-related issues. Melaney is a Past Chair of the Ontario Network of the International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC) and serves as Canadian Networks Director on the international board of IWIRC. Melaney is also a Co-Chair of the World Law Group Restructuring and Insolvency Resolution Practice Group.
|Education|| University of Western Ontario (LL.B.)
University of Western Ontario (B.A.)
Law Society of Ontario
Ontario Bar Association, Insolvency Section