Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Michael Bertrand is a partner in the Banking and Finance Group at Goodmans. Michael has represented both lenders and borrowers in a broad range of financing transactions, including corporate lending, acquisition finance, construction loans, private placements and high yield bond offerings. Michael is recognized as a leading practitioner in the 2015 through 2017 editions of The Best Lawyers in Canada and is “repeatedly recommended” by The 2018 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for Banking and Finance Law. He is also recognized as a “Rising Star” in Banking & Finance by IFLR 1000.
Michael gained prior experience at a large US-based financial institution where he held the role of Vice President and Senior Counsel. Michael also practised with a large international law firm in New York from 2001 until 2005. Michael originally articled with the Justices of the Court of Appeal for Ontario.
Recent representations include:
- Counsel to Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in connection with a term loan and operating facility provided to Hootsuite Inc.;
- Counsel to JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A. and Anchorage Capital Group in connection with a $380 million bridge facility to support a Canadian construction project;
- Counsel to The Toronto-Dominion Bank, as Administrative Agent, in connection with a syndicated $295 million multi-phase construction loan facility to Friday Harbour Resort;
- Counsel to Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, as Administrative Agent, in connection with a US $1 billion bridge loan facility to finance the acquisition of an Australian public company;
- Counsel to Bank of Montreal, as Administrative Agent, in connection with secured acquisition facilities provided to SunOpta Inc.;
- Counsel to The Toronto-Dominion Bank, as Administrative Agent, in connection with a US $2.5 billion loan facility to fund the acquisition of Brookfield Office Properties;
- Counsel to Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. in connection with the refinancing of its long term debt facilities;
- Counsel to Brookfield Infrastructure Partners in connection with the acquisition of Enwave Energy Corporation, and the subsequent refinancing of Enwave’s long term debt facilities;
- Counsel to Postmedia Network Inc. and Four Seasons Hotels Limited in connection with various refinancing transactions;
- Counsel to Advent International, Apax Partners, Clairvest Group, Wind Point Partners, Chicago Growth Partners and a number of other private equity sponsors on the financing of various Canadian acquisitions.
|Education|| Queen's University (LL.B., 2000)
University of Winnipeg (B.A. (with Highest Distinction) , 1997)
|Year of Call||
2001 New York