Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Peter Ruby is a litigation partner and co-leads the firm’s technology law artificial intelligence groups. He has a national and international practice focused on business and technology dispute resolution, including software, hardware, telecommunications, film, television, privacy and data protection, intellectual property, ecommerce and internet litigation, Canadian and cross-border arbitration and mediation. Peter has a balanced practice, representing multi-national and entrepreneurial vendors of technology and services, along with many end-users of information technology. He has appeared all levels of the courts of Ontario and the Supreme Court of Canada, as well as in many arbitration proceedings.
Peter also deals with the regulation of the electricity industry, has acted as counsel for the Canadian Electricity Association, and represented electricity utilities across Canada, as well as green energy developers. He has appeared at the Ontario Energy Board with respect to generation, transmission, mergers and acquisitions, real estate development and distribution issues, and before other provincial energy regulators.
With respect to privacy and data protection, Peter has successfully litigated business-related privacy cases that have been brought before the courts and has considerable experience assisting clients on a highly confidential basis in dealing with data breach incidents. He also assists organizations to deal with privacy inquiries and investigations by privacy commissioners, and negotiate privacy-related agreements.
Also, from time to time Peter acts as an arbitrator and mediator in his fields of practice. He is a roster member arbitrator/mediator of Arbitration Place and the Canadian roster of the AAA’s International Center for Dispute Resolution.
- Counsel to the Monitor of Nortel in an unprecedented cross-border dispute over the allocation of the insolvent Nortel’s assets and advice on IT, IP, business law and valuation issues
- Counsel to Oracle in several litigations involving customers, business partners and implementers
- Counsel to SAP in litigation and arbitration proceedings several litigations involving customers, business partners and implementers
- Counsel to the Business Development Bank of Canada in software fraud litigation concerning a failed technology acquisition
- Counsel to Trader Corp. in mass on-line copyright infringement litigation
- Counsel to Bell Media in a Reference to the Supreme Court of Canada opposite Canada’s largest cable companies
- Counsel to Bell Media and Rogers Media in arbitration proceedings and terms of trade
- Counsel to Software AG in litigation and arbitration with to disputes with Canadian corporate and government customers
- Counsel to CBS Television in internet identity theft litigation
- Counsel to AXA Asia about obtaining an injunction to prevent a software provider from shutting down an insurer’s operations
- Counsel to NBCUniversal in copyright litigation with respect to the film Charlie Wilson’s War, and other matters
- Counsel to 19 power companies in a landmark case in the Supreme Court of Canada against Canada’s cable television companies
- Counsel in arbitration about a shareholders dispute to the majority owner of a wind-power project
- Counsel in arbitration to a renewable energy developer in a dispute compensation owing to it by other participants in the project
- Counsel to Atlantic Power in regulatory and arbitration proceedingsWith respect to novel matters in each of their provinces, advised and/or represented in hearings many power companies including Hydro Quebec, B.C. Hydro, New Brunswick Power, ENMAX Corporation, Manitoba Hydro and Greater Sudbury Hydro
Peter is recognized as a leading IT litigator in Chambers Global Guide to The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Euromoney’s Guide to The World’s Leading Information Technology Lawyers and The Best Lawyers in Canada, and is also recognized by Benchmark Canada: The Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys in the areas of international arbitration, energy and intellectual property.
Peter was a law clerk to the Federal Court of Canada and for over a dozen years was a Professor of Law (adj.) at the University of Toronto and Osgoode Hall Law School teaching internet law. He was a co-chair of the 2017 World Technology Law Conference in Chicago and is a member of the Executive Committee of the International Technology Law Association. Peter is a popular speaker, in Canada and internationally, in his areas of practice.
|Education|| Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.M., 2000)
Osgoode Hall Law School (J.D., 1994)
International Technology Law Association (Executive Committee Member and Former Co-Chair Dispute Resolutions Committee)
|Year of Call||