Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Ryan Cookson is an associate in the Litigation Group at Goodmans. He joined the firm after clerking for Justice Janet Simmons and Justice Russell Juriansz at the Court of Appeal for Ontario.
His practice focuses on complex commercial litigation and dispute resolution. He has significant experience in the areas of competition law, contract disputes, employee and fidudciary obligations, professional liability claims, class actions and administrative/public law proceedings. He has advised companies subject to investigation by the Canadian Competition Bureau and represented clients engaged in litigation with the government, including in regulatory defence proceedings and court applications for judicial reviews of government decisions.
Ryan has appeared before all levels of court in Ontario, as well as before administrative tribunals and arbitration panels. He appears regularly on matters before the Commercial List in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, which specializes in complex commercial matters. He has also appeared before the Court of Appeal for Ontario, the Federal Court of Canada and the Federal Court of Appeal.
Ryan’s representative work includes acting for:
- the Vancouver Airport Authority in a proceeding brought by the Commissioner of Competition under the Competition Act, including a successful appeal to the Federal Court of Appeal that resulted in a fundamental change to the law of privilege in the competition law context
- Uber Canada Inc. (and related companies) in various civil litigation proceedings, including obtaining stays of proceedings in multiple regulatory prosecutions and the dismissal of an application for an injunction to shut down Uber’s operations in Toronto
- a major national law firm in its succesful defence of a claim for breach of fiduciary duty, including a successful appeal before the Ontario Court of Appeal
- Ceridian Canada Inc. in a successful application for an emergency injunction to prevent unauthorized disclosure of confidential and commercially sensitive information
- Apotex Inc. in a successful claim for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty
Ryan is a member of the Board of Governors of Royal St. George’s College.
|Education|| University of Western Ontario (J.D., with distinction, 2011)
Queen's University (B.A., with distinction, 2007)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||