Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Alan Bowman is a partner at Goodmans. Alan's practice focuses on all aspects of income taxation that arise in corporate and commercial transactions. He advises public and private clients on M&A, debt and equity financing, corporate reorganisations, debt restructurings and international tax planning.
Alan has provided tax advice on:
- Newmont Mining Corporation’s $10 billion acquisition of Goldcorp Inc.
- the Essar Steel Algoma Inc. restructuring under the CCAA and sale of substantially all of its assets to Algoma Steel Inc.
- Altria Group, Inc. in its $2.4 billion strategic investment in cannabis producer, Cronos Group;
- a joint venture between prominent businessman and philanthropist, Larry Tanenbaum O.C., and Junior Bridgeman, a former NBA player, renowned entrepreneur and owner of Kansas City-based Heartland Coca-Cola Bottling Company, in the joint venture’s acquisition of Coca-Cola Refreshments Canada Company from a subsidiary of The Coca-Cola Company;
- Coeur Mining, Inc. in its $70 million acquisition of Northern Empire Resources Corp.;
- the vendors in the sale of Wellington Financial’s assets and loan portfolio to CIBC;
- Miller McAshphalt’s $931 million acquisition by Colas Canada;
- Cott Corporation’s US$1.25 billion sale of its traditional beverage manufacturing business to Refresco;
- Vista Equity Partners’ acquisition of DH Corporation for $4.8 billion and its combination of D+H with Misys;
- Sunovion Pharmaceuticals’ $841 million acquisition of Cynapsus Therapeutics;
- Coeur Mining in its US$250 million acquisition of Denham Capital’s JDS Silver and B.C. Silvertip Mine;
- Orla Mining Ltd. in its acquisition of the Camino Rojo Project from Goldcorp Inc.; and
- the sale of Stephenson’s Rental Services, led by management, with financial backing from a U.S. private equity firm.
He has also advised on numerous acquisitions and dispositions by private equity funds and other public/private transactions.
Alan is recognized by Chambers Canada, Chambers Global, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and The Best Lawyers in Canada for tax. He has authored numerous papers and speaks frequently on commercial income tax matters. He is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, Canadian Tax Foundation and International Fiscal Association.
|Education|| University of British Columbia (LL.B., 1995)
University of Western Ontario (B.A., 1992)
Canadian Tax Foundation
|Year of Call||