Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Alan Bowman is a partner in the Tax Group at Goodmans. Alan's practice focuses on all aspects of income taxation that arise in corporate and commercial transactions with a particular focus on the mining industry. He advises public and private clients on M&A, debt and equity financing, corporate reorganizations, debt restructurings and international tax planning.
Alan has provided tax advice in the following transactions:
- Newmont Mining Corporation in its $10 billion acquisition of Goldcorp Inc.
- Essar Steel Algoma Inc. in its restructuring under the CCAA and sale of substantially all of its assets to Algoma Steel Inc.
- Altria Group, Inc. in its $2.4 billion strategic investment in cannabis producer, Cronos Group
- a joint venture between prominent businessman and philanthropist, Larry Tanenbaum O.C., and Junior Bridgeman, a former NBA player, renowned entrepreneur and owner of Kansas City-based Heartland Coca-Cola Bottling Company, in the joint venture’s acquisition of Coca-Cola Refreshments Canada Company from a subsidiary of The Coca-Cola Company
- McCain Capital Partners in its acquisition of Chairman Mills Corp.
- Coeur Mining, Inc. in its $70 million acquisition of Northern Empire Resources Corp.
- the vendors in the sale of Wellington Financial’s assets and loan portfolio to CIBC
- Miller McAshphalt in its $931 million acquisition by Colas Canada
- Cott Corporation in its US$1.25 billion sale of its traditional beverage manufacturing business to Refresco
- Vista Equity Partners in its acquisition of DH Corporation for $4.8 billion and its combination of D+H with Misys
- Sunovion Pharmaceuticals in its $841 million acquisition of Cynapsus Therapeutics
- Coeur Mining in its US$250 million acquisition of Denham Capital’s JDS Silver and B.C. Silvertip Mine
- Orla Mining Ltd. in its acquisition of the Camino Rojo Project from Goldcorp Inc.
- the sale of Stephenson’s Rental Services, led by management, with financial backing from a U.S. private equity firm
He has also advised on numerous acquisitions and dispositions by private equity funds and other public/private transactions.
Alan is recognized by Chambers Canada, Chambers Global, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and Best Lawyers in Canada for tax.
PROFESSIONAL INVOLVEMENT AND CHARITY WORK
Alan has authored numerous papers and speaks frequently on commercial income tax matters.
Alan is the board chair at Kingsway College School, an independent school located in Etobicoke, Ontario. Formerly, Alan chaired the Audit Committee of Youth Without Shelter, a shelter for homeless youth in Toronto, and he was an adjunct professor at Western University Faculty of Law.
|Education|| University of British Columbia (LL.B., 1995)
Western University (B.A., 1992)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||