Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Ira Barkin is co-section head of the Goodmans’ Real Estate Group.
Ira plays a leading role in large acquisition, financing, development, restructuring and securitization transactions. His real estate background includes extensive experience in seniors housing and hotel law, commercial leasing, clean energy land development and telecommunications financing.
Ira’s broad range of experience is frequently relied upon in connection with a wide variety of capital market transactions.
Some of the major projects with which Ira has had considerable involvement include the Toronto Eaton Centre expansion, CBC’s downtown Toronto development, the Gooderham & Worts Historic Distillery District and IBM’s Markham site.
Ira’s significant transactional experience includes the following:
- Brookfield in its acquisition of Enwave, Canada’s largest district heating and cooling enterprise;
- Health Care REIT, Inc. in its acquisition, with Chartwell Seniors Housing REIT, of a portfolio of 42 retirement properties from certain Maestro Retirement Residences Funds for approximately $931 million;
- Atlantic Power Corporation’s acquisition of Capital Power Income L.P.;
- Canadian Tire Corporation’s acquisition of the Forzani Group;
- SunEdison/SkyPower joint venture acquisition and development of two solar projects and related financings with Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale, New York Branch
- Leisureworld Senior Care Corporation’s IPO;
- The Brick Group’s recapitalization;
- Acquisition of Retirement Residences REIT by PSP Destiny, Inc.;
- Joint venture acquisition by Retirement Residences REIT and CPP Realty Holdings Inc. of Lifestyle Portfolio; and
- Royster Clark’s Canadian IPO.
Ira is recognized as a leading lawyer by Best Lawyers in Canada for real estate, by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for property development and in the 2018 Lexpert Special Edition on Canada’s Leading Energy Lawyers in the Globe & Mail’s ROB Magazine.
He has had articles published and has been a lecturer at the Annual Seniors Housing Forum, the Law Society of Ontario and the Ontario Solar Summit and Expo. Ira is also a contributor to The Canadian REIT Handbook, published by the Real Property Association of Canada (REALpac).
|Education|| Queen's University (LL.B., 1990)
University of Toronto (B.A., 1987)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||