Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Michael Koch is a partner whose practice focuses on regulation and public law litigation, including communications, competition, foreign investment and copyright law. Michael has been involved in major competition and foreign investment matters and has played a role in each major CRTC proceeding to establish the competitive framework for the Canadian telecommunications industry since serving as counsel to the CRTC in 1994.
Michael regularly represents clients before numerous administrative tribunals (the CRTC and the Copyright Board of Canada), government departments (the Competition Bureau and the Investment Review Division and Spectrum Management Departments of Industry Canada) and has acted for both the Competition Bureau and the CRTC. He has argued over 30 statutory appeals and judicial review proceedings before courts at all levels, including the Federal Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada. Michael also provides strategic, industry-specific advice and representation to telecommunications and media companies, and to investors and other clients interacting with the communications and internet industries.
Some of his notable engagements include representing:
- Vancouver Airport Authority in the defense of the Commissioner of Competition’s abuse of dominance application before the Competition Tribunal.
- 7-Eleven Canada Inc. in its acquisition of 144 retail gasoline sites from Imperial Oil.
- Trader Corp. in mass on-line copyright infringement litigation.
- Comwave Networks Inc. in the defence of a deceptive marketing inquiry concerning advertising claims of their Internet and home phone services.
- Vista Equity Partners in its agreement to acquire DH Corporation and combine D+H with its portfolio company, Misys for $4.8 billion.
- Leadon Investment Inc. in its acquisition of British Columbia Investment Management Corp.’s Canadian hotel portfolio, SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts, for over $1 billion.
- Apollo Management and GSO Capital Partners in their acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Lightstream Resources Ltd., an oil and gas exploration and production company, through a credit bid in a CCAA sales process.
- OMERS Private Equity, the private equity arm of OMERS, in the sale of its portfolio company, Give & Go Prepared Foods Corp. to an affiliate of US private equity firm Thomas H. Lee Partners, L.P.
- Match.com Canada Ltd., a subsidiary of The Match Group, in its US$575 million cash acquisition of PlentyOfFish Media Inc.
- The Ad Hoc Committee of Mobilicity Noteholders in connection with the acquisition of Mobilicity by Rogers Communications Inc. for $465 million.
- Postmedia Network Inc. in connection with its acquisition of the Sun Media English language newspapers and digital properties from Quebecor Media Inc. for $305 million.
- The Special Committee of Astral Media Inc. in connection with the $3.2 billion acquisition of Astral by BCE Inc.
- ARCADIS, the leading pure play global engineering and consultancy firm, in its acquisition of SENES Consultants Limited and its affiliated company DCS Limited.
Michael’s speaking engagements have included subjects in administrative law, communications regulation, copyright and competition law for the LSUC, OBA, University of Toronto, Osgoode Hall Law School and internationally.
Described in Chambers Global as the “go to guy for competition and copyright issues”, Michael is recognized as a leading lawyer by a number of legal publications including the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, the Lexpert American Lawyer Guide to the 500 Leading Lawyers in Canada, Chambers Global, Who’s Who and Euromoney.
|Education|| University of Toronto (LL.B., 1986)
|Year of Call||