Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Michael Partridge is a partner at Goodmans. His practice focuses on corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions, venture capital financings and securities law. He advises boards of directors and activist shareholders on corporate governance matters and proxy contests. Michael is recognized as a leading lawyer in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and securities, private equity and mining by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, for corporate finance and securities by the Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, by the Lexpert Special Edition on Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining, and for mergers and acquisitions and natural resources law by The Best Lawyers in Canada.
His recent experience includes representing:
- Apollo Global Management and GSO Capital Partners as sponsors of a comprehensive restructuring and going private transaction involving Mood Media Corporation, effected by way of a plan of arrangement under the CBCA
- The Special Committee of Redknee Solutions Inc. in connection with a US$83 million private placement to ESW Capital and a subsequent proposed $54 million rights offering to be backstopped by ESW Capital
- CSW Industrials in connection with its acquisition of Greco Aluminum Railings from O2 Investment Partners
- CanWel Building Materials Group Ltd. in connection with more than $100 million in bought deal public offerings of its common shares
- University Ventures in connection with a Series A financing of OOHLALA Mobile
- Frederator Networks in connection with its acquisition by Wow Unlimited Media Inc. (formerly Rainmaker Entertainment Inc.)
- Postmedia Network Canada Corp. in connection with a CBCA restructuring transaction, including the issuance of $110 million in new second lien notes
- Hawthorne Partners in connection with the sale of Navantis Inc. to Datavail Corporation
- Pioneering Technology Corp. in connection with a $6 million bought deal private placement of common shares
- AdEspresso Inc. in connection with its sale to Hootsuite Media Inc.
- IA Ventures in connection with a seed round financing of Kepler Communications Inc.
- Birch Hill Equity Partners in connection with its sale of Carson-Dellosa Publishing to Guardian Capital
- Mandalay Resources Corporation in connection with a $39 million bought deal public offering of its common shares
- CanWel Building Materials Group Ltd. in connection with its acquisition of Jemi Fibre Corp. and concurrent $20 million bought deal private placement of subscription receipts
- Arrowroot Capital in connection with a $12 million Series A financing of Embotics Corporation
- K2 Principal Fund L.P. in connection with its successful initiative to gain representation on the board of directors of Acerus Pharmaceuticals Corporation
- Material Sciences Corporation, a portfolio company of Insight Equity Partners, in connection with its acquisition of Continuous Colour Coat Ltd.
- Bell Canada and the Kilmer Group in connection with their acquisition of the Toronto Argonauts Football Club
- Sunshine Kaidi New Energy Group Co., Ltd. in connection with its $147 million take-over bid to acquire Alter NRG Corp.
- Postmedia Network Inc. in connection with its acquisition of the Sun Media English language newspapers and digital properties from Quebecor Media Inc. for $305 million
- App Annie in connection with its acquisition of Mobidia
- Aquila Resources Inc. in connection with its US$20.75 million stream and equity financing transaction with Orion Mine Finance
- Hub International Limited in connection with numerous acquisitions of private companies in Canada
- Apax Partners and Hub International Limited in Hub International’s US$4.4 billion acquisition by Hellman & Friedman LLC
- Kilmer Sports Inc. and Lawrence M. Tanenbaum in connection with the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan's agreement to sell its ownership interest in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. to BCE Inc. and Rogers Communications Inc. for $1.32 billion and the associated increase of KSI's ownership interest to 25%
- Mason Capital Management LLC in connection with its opposition to Telus Corp’s proposal to collapse its dual class share structure
- Western Coal Corp. in connection with its $3.3 billion merger with Walter Energy, Inc.
- Gerdau S.A. in connection with its US$1.6 billion acquisition of the minority interest in Gerdau Ameristeel Corporation
Michael joined Goodmans as an associate in 1998. From 2000 to 2002, Michael was an associate at a Silicon Valley based law firm where his practice focused on the representation of emerging growth companies, publicly traded technology companies and venture capital funds in M&A transactions, venture capital financings and general corporate and securities law matters. He returned to Goodmans in 2003 and became a partner in 2005. Michael is the co-head of one of Goodmans’ business law groups.
Michael is a member of the Goodmans team that acts as “legal counsel in residence” for the DMZ at Ryerson University – one of Canada’s largest business incubators for emerging tech startups. He is a member of the Law Society of Ontario and the California State Bar.
|Education|| Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B. , 1996)
University of Western Ontario (B.A., 1993)
Law Society of Ontario