Bay Adelaide Centre
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Michael Partridge is a partner at Goodmans. His practice focuses on corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions, venture capital financings and securities law. He advises boards of directors and activist shareholders on corporate governance matters and proxy contests. Michael is recognized as a leading lawyer in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and securities and private equity by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, by the Lexpert Special Edition on Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining, and for mergers and acquisitions and natural resources law by The Best Lawyers in Canada.
His recent experience includes representing:
- CanWel Building Materials Group Ltd. in connection with a $60 million bought deal public offering of its common shares
- Postmedia Network Canada Corp. in connection with a proposed CBCA restructuring transaction, including the issuance of $110 million in new second lien notes
- IA Ventures in connection with a seed round financing of Kepler Communications Inc.
- Birch Hill Equity Partners in connection with its sale of Carson-Dellosa Publishing to Guardian Capital
- Mandalay Resources Corporation in connection with a $39 million bought deal public offering of its common shares
- The underwriters in connection with Orezone Gold Corporation’s $26 million bought deal public offering of common shares
- CanWel Building Materials Group Ltd. in connection with its acquisition of Jemi Fibre Corp. and concurrent $20 million bought deal private placement of subscription receipts
- Arrowroot Capital in connection with a $12 million Series A financing of Embotics Corporation
- CE Mining Fund II L.P. in connection with a £10.45 million financing of Rambler Metals and Mining plc
- Galata Chemicals in connection with its acquisition of Axiall Corporation’s Solucor business
- Pioneering Technology Corp. in connection with a non-brokered private placement of common shares
- K2 Principal Fund L.P. in connection with its successful initiative to gain representation on the board of directors of Acerus Pharmaceuticals Corporation
- Material Sciences Corporation, a portfolio company of Insight Equity Partners, in connection with its acquisition of Continuous Colour Coat Ltd.
- CanWel Building Materials Group Ltd. in connection with its US$56.6 million acquisition of California Cascade Industries and an associated $52 million private placement of subscription receipts
- Bell Canada and the Kilmer Group in connection with their acquisition of the Toronto Argonauts Football Club
- Sunshine Kaidi New Energy Group Co., Ltd. in connection with its $147 million take-over bid to acquire Alter NRG Corp.
- Postmedia Network Inc. in connection with its acquisition of the Sun Media English language newspapers and digital properties from Quebecor Media Inc. for $305 million
- App Annie in connection with its acquisition of Mobidia
- Aquila Resources Inc. in connection with its US$20.75 million stream and equity financing transaction with Orion Mine Finance
- Hub International Limited in connection with numerous acquisitions of private companies in Canada
- Certain noteholders in connection with certain refinancings of Gold Reserve Inc.
- Apax Partners and Hub International Limited in Hub International’s US$4.4 billion acquisition by Hellman & Friedman LLC
- Kilmer Sports Inc. and Lawrence M. Tanenbaum in connection with the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan's agreement to sell its ownership interest in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. to BCE Inc. and Rogers Communications Inc. for $1.32 billion and the associated increase of KSI's ownership interest to 25%
- Mason Capital Management LLC in connection with its opposition to Telus Corp’s proposal to collapse its dual class share structure
- Western Coal Corp. in connection with its $3.3 billion merger with Walter Energy, Inc.
- Gerdau S.A. in connection with its US$1.6 billion acquisition of the minority interest in Gerdau Ameristeel Corporation
Michael joined Goodmans as an associate in 1998. From 2000 to 2002, Michael was an associate at a Silicon Valley based law firm where his practice focused on the representation of emerging growth companies, publicly traded technology companies and venture capital funds in M&A transactions, venture capital financings and general corporate and securities law matters. He returned to Goodmans in 2003 and became a partner in 2005. Michael is the co-head of one of Goodmans’ business law groups.
Michael is a member of the Goodmans team that acts as “legal counsel in residence” for the DMZ at Ryerson University – one of Canada’s largest business incubators for emerging tech startups. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada and the California State Bar.
|Education|| Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B. , 1996)
University of Western Ontario (B.A., 1993)
Law Society of Upper Canada