Employment and Labour
Goodmans’ Employment and Labour Group offer clients in the public, private, non-profit and charitable sectors the expertise required to provide strategic advice on an array of statutory and regulatory issues. By anticipating problems that arise for employers and employees in a wide range of commercial activities in both federal and provincial arenas, we create optimal and practical business solutions for our clients.
Our Employment and Labour Group works seamlessly with Goodmans’ top-rated insolvency, corporate and M&A practices to address labour and employment issues, leveraging our experience in specific fields including complex outsourcing and public/private partnerships. Our lawyers have expertise in a broad spectrum of industries, including manufacturing, retail, services, construction, health care, mining, food services, hotel, airline, education, entertainment, hospitality, pharmaceutical, and technology. We are also experienced in Canada/U.S. cross-border issues and regularly assist U.S. clients and U.S. counsel in navigating the different issues raised in the employment context in Canada in connection with the acquisition or sale of a Canadian business.
The lawyers in this Group work directly with our clients in providing ongoing expert advice and representation in all aspects of labour and employment law, including:
- Transactional and Business Start-Up Advice: We advise on all aspects of labour issues relating to the start-up and expansion of businesses as well as corporate mergers & acquisitions, insolvencies and other business restructurings.
- Hiring and Termination of Employees: We provide strategic advice on the hiring of employees, the termination of employees with or without cause, mass layoffs, downsizing and we draft and negotiate offers of employment, employment contracts, severance packages, settlement agreements and releases.
- Labour Litigation: Our lawyers regularly appear before all levels of court, at arbitration hearings and at administrative tribunals, including provincial and federal labour boards, human rights boards of inquiry, and the workplace safety and insurance appeals tribunal.
- Unions and Collective Agreements: We provide expert counsel on management-side labour relations, strikes and lockouts, union organizing, certification and decertification, collective bargaining negotiations, grievance arbitrations and the negotiation of settlements.
- Legislative Compliance: We regularly team with other Goodmans lawyers to provide comprehensive advice on all commercial aspects of employment law including workplace safety and insurance, human rights, occupational health and safety, disability in the workplace and the duty to accommodate, privacy, employment standards, pay equity, employment equity, pension and benefit plans, workplace investigations and executive compensation issues. We also work with clients to develop strong and effective policy manuals, hiring and interviewing techniques as well as attendance management programs.
With the increasing complexity of employment and labour issues, our Employment and Labour Group works diligently to keep abreast of all recent developments and to develop workable business solutions to these issues so that our clients and corporate counsel receive timely and practical advice which we tailor to your individual workplace.