Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Melanie Ouanounou is a partner in the Litigation and Class Actions Groups at Goodmans. Melanie has a diversified litigation practice, specializing in general commercial litigation, class action defence litigation, electricity law and estate litigation.
Melanie’s commercial and class action defence litigation practices encompass a wide variety of business disputes with a focus on securities litigation, contract disputes, product liability and plans of arrangement. Melanie acts for clients involved in disputes across many different sectors, including clients in the health care, mining, oil and gas, energy, real estate, technology and entertainment industries.
Melanie has trial and appellate experience and has appeared before all levels of court in Ontario as well as the Supreme Court of Canada. She has also been involved in proceedings before the Ontario Securities Commission and has appeared before the courts of several other provinces.
Melanie’s representative work includes acting for:
- a generic pharmaceutical manufacturer and pharmaceutical distributor in various class proceedings relating to the sale and marketing of opioids in Canada
- the Ontario Long-Term Care Association in the Public Inquiry into the Safety and Security of Residents in the Long-Term Care Home System
- CI Mutual Funds Inc. at the Supreme Court of Canada in Fischer v. IG Investment Management Ltd., the most recent authority from the Supreme Court regarding the preferable procedure analysis for certification of class proceedings
- InterOil Corporation in Mulacek v. InterOil, a Yukon Court of Appeal decision concerning the use of fairness opinions in plans of arrangements
- Renfrew Power Generation Inc. in Plaunt v. Renfrew Power Generation Inc. in its successful motion to decertify a class proceeding on the basis that the class members’ claims did not raise any common issues
- the Canadian court-appointed monitor in a cross-border insolvency trial in Nortel Networks
- New Gold Inc. in Barrick Gold Corp. v. Goldcorp Inc. in its successful defence of a claim brought by Barrick Gold Corporation in respect of the sale of an interest in the El Morro mining project in Chile
- the Canadian underwriters in Coulson v. Citigroup Global Markets Canada Inc. in their successful dismissal of a class proceeding alleging prospectus misrepresentation
- various parties in applications for rectification of estate freezes
Melanie recently authored the Case Review of Decertification Motions in Class Proceedings published in The Canadian Class Action Review (2017-2018) by Irwin Law.
|Education|| University of Toronto (Juris Doctor, 2007)
McGill University (B.A., Hons., First Class, Political Science, 2004)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||