Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Chris is a partner in a business law group at Goodmans. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions and complex reorganizations, representing public and private buyers, sellers and issuers, as well as boards of directors and special committees. Chris has extensive experience in cross-border transactions involving private equity buyers and sellers.
Chris also advises bidders, targets and investors involved in hostile take-over bids, proxy contests, appraisal remedies and other contested situations. He is frequently asked to assist public companies with their corporate governance and disclosure obligations.
Chris’ recent transactional experience includes representing:
- Onex Corporation in its pending acquisition of WestJet Airlines Ltd. for CDN$5 billion
- Newmont Mining Corporation in its successful acquisition of Goldcorp Inc. for US$10 billion
- Newmont Mining Corporation in its succcessful creation of the world’s largest gold joint venture in Nevada with Barrick Gold Corporation
- The Special Committee of AGT Food and Ingredients Inc. in its $1.1 billion going-private transaction by a group of investors led by certain members of its management and including Fairfax Financial Holdings and Point North Capital
- Newmont Mining Corporation in connection with its acquisition from NovaGold Resources of a 50% interest in the Galore Creek Project joint venture with Teck Resources
- Pure Industrial REIT in connection with the acquisition of the REIT by Blackstone Property Partners
- InterOil Corporation in connection with its sale to Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Spectra Energy Corp in connection with its merger with Enbridge Inc.
- BCE Inc. in connection with its privatization of Bell Aliant Inc.
- The special committee of the board of directors of Astral Media in connection with the acquisition of Astral by BCE Inc.
Chris is honoured as one of Lexpert’s 2019 Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40. Chris is recognized as a leading lawyer in Canada by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and Best Lawyers List for Canada.
Chris is a regular guest lecturer at the University of Toronto, where he teaches on various corporate, securities and commercial law topics. He is a frequent writer and guest speaker on a variety of corporate and securities law issues.
|Education|| Canadian Securities Course (Honours, 2012)
University of Windsor (LL.B, Gold Medalist, 2006)
University of Western Ontario (B.A., Honours, Economics, 2003)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||