Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
John specializes in corporate finance, securities law, private equity and public and private mergers and acquisitions. John advises public companies, closely-held companies, private equity funds and their portfolio companies on a wide range of corporate transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures and capital raising, and governance matters. He also heads Goodmans’ Private Equity Group.
Recent transactions in which John has played a leading role include:
- Representing The Miller McAsphalt Corporation in connection with its sale of Miller Paving Limited and McAsphalt Industries Limited to Colas Canada Inc.
- Advising The Second Cup Ltd. in connection with its strategic relationship with National Access Cannabis Corp.
- Representing General Atlantic Partners in connection with its strategic investment in Benevity, Inc., a global provider of corporate social responsibility and employee engagement software
- Representing The Kilmer Group in connection with the sale of the Toronto Argonauts Football Club, North America’s oldest continuously operated professional football club, to MLSE
- Representing a syndicate of underwriters led by TD Securities in connection with multiple bought deal common share offerings by K-Bro Linen Inc.
- Representing Clairvest Group Inc. in connection with the sale of CRS Contractors Rental Supply Limited Partnership to Sunbelt Rentals, the North American business of Ashtead Group plc, for $275 million plus a potential earn-out
- Representing Second Cup Coffee Co. in its debt-for-equity exchange with the shareholders of SPE Finance LLC
- Representing General Atlantic Partners in connection with its strategic investments in Synaptive Medical, a leading medical device and technology company
- Representing Apax Partners in its sale of Trader Corporation, Canada’s lending digital automotive marketplace and software solutions provider, for approximately $1.575 billion
- Representing Tricon Capital Group Inc. in a wide range of corporate transactions, including numerous bought deal offerings, joint venture transactions, strategic investments and general corporate matters
- Representing Apax Partners in its $708 million acquisition of Trader Corporation from Yellow Media Inc.
- Representing Comcare, Birch Hill Equity Partners and TD Capital Group in the sale of Comcare’s home care business to Revera Inc.
- Representing Northstar Healthcare Inc. in its response to a hostile take-over bid and the subsequent change of control private placement of common shares to the company’s founder
- Representing Bluewave Energy, a leading Canadian petroleum distribution company, in the sale of its business to Parkland Income Fund for $214 million
- Representing Morneau Sobeco Income Fund in connection with its acquisition of the business of Shepell•fgi from Clairvest Group Inc. and its partners for $322 million, the completion of a $153 million bought deal public offering of units and a $200 million credit facility
- The initial public offerings of Tricon Capital Group Inc., Northstar Healthcare Inc., Gluskin Sheff + Associates Inc., K-Bro Linen Income Fund and VOXCOM Income Fund
- The acquisition of Bluewave Energy by Birch Hill Equity Partners
From 1998 to 2004, John was an associate in the New York, Hong Kong and London offices of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP.
John was recognized as one of Canada’s Leading Lawyers Under 40 by Lexpert magazine in November 2008. John is also recognized as repeatedly recommended in corporate finance and securities and mergers and acquisitions by the 2019 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
|Education|| University of Toronto (LL.B., 1998)
McGill University (B.A. , 1994)
|Year of Call||
1999 New York