Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Jon Northup is a partner and a member of the Executive Committee at Goodmans. He specializes in tax law.
Jon’s practice focuses on corporate and commercial transactions, with a particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and structured finance transactions. Jon has recently provided tax advice on acquisitions involving, among others:
- HealthLease Properties REIT’s $1 billion acquisition by Health Care REIT, Inc.;
- Formation Capital’s US$870 million acquisition of the US business of Extendicare Inc.;
- Canadian Pacific Railway’s joint venture with Dream Unlimited Corp.;
- Health Care REIT, Inc. and Revera Inc. in connection with their US$1.35 billion joint venture resulting in shared ownership of 47 Canadian retirement residences previously owned by Revera;
- Health Care REIT, Inc. in its acquisition, with Chartwell Seniors Housing REIT, of a portfolio of 42 retirement properties from certain Maestro Retirement Residences Funds for approximately $931 million;
- Atlantic Power Corporation’s $1.1 billion acquisition of Capital Power Income L.P.;
- Western Coal Corporation’s $3.3 billion acquisition by Walter Energy, Inc.;
- Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc.’s $915 million acquisition of Van Houtte Inc. from an affiliate of Littlejohn & Co., LLC;
Jon has extensive experience advising issuers and investment dealers on the structuring and taxation of public offerings, including offerings by REITs, investment trusts and similar yield-oriented issuers. He advised RioCan REIT on the first offering of preferred units by a Canadian trust and advised WPT Industrial REIT, Milestone Apartments REIT, Agellan Commercial REIT, HealthLease Properties REIT, Slate U.S. Opportunity (Nos. 1-3) Realty Trust and Timbercreek U.S. Multi-Residential Opportunity Fund #1 on their cross-border IPOs. Jon has spoken frequently in both Canada and the United States on topics related to going public in Canada and the tax efficient structuring of income securities.
Jon is recognized as a leading practitioner of tax law by Chambers Global who describe him as having “a relaxed and client-friendly attitude: “He's calm, which makes him great to work with, but he’s also extremely effective.” Jon is also recommended for tax by Best Lawyers in Canada and by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory. Lexpert Magazine named Jon one of Canada’s “Top 40 Under 40 Lawyers” in 2006 and one of the “20 Corporate Lawyers to Watch” in 2007.
|Education|| University of Toronto (LL.B., 1998)
University of Victoria (B.A., 1993)
Canadian Bar Association