Goodmans Presents: Positioning Yourself for Success in Litigation
|Lawyer||Mark Dunn, Brad Halfin, Tamryn Jacobson, Suzy Kauffman|
Litigation can be stressful, but with the right tools and the right team in place, you can position yourself for success. As in-house counsel or a business executive, you play a critical role in managing the litigation process.
This program will share strategies and tactics to help you effectively deal with the various dispute resolution issues and challenges that would typically arise in the context of litigation, including:
- Arbitration – Pros and cons of agreeing to arbitration and considerations for drafting arbitration clauses.
- Document collection and preservation – Identifying relevant documents, implementing preservation and collection processes and working with document management service providers.
- Confidentiality orders – When do you need to put them in place and how to most effectively obtain them? Protecting your organization’s confidential information and confidential third-party information.
- To settle or not to settle – When and how settlement offers can affect costs awards, using offers to settle strategically and key settlement terms.
- We won, now what? – Asset seizure and other remedies available to a successful litigant, including how to most effectively seize assets in other jurisdictions and what to do if your opponent is, or may be, unable to pay its debts.
Original Program Date:
February 7, 2017
1.5 Substantive Hours
For more information, email CPD@goodmans.ca or contact Sandra Montanino at 416.597.4156
For Members of the Ontario Bar:
Viewing archived webcasts, video replays, or other recorded program formats without a colleague is eligible towards the LSO's annual CPD requirement for up to 6 hours per calendar year. You are not subject to the 6 hour cap if you view it with a colleague. This Goodmans Presents archive can be counted toward your CPD Hours.
To report watching this archived recording in your LSO Portal:
1. Log in to the LSO Portal, and click on "CPD" from the left hand navigation menu.
2. Click on the "Add" button found just below your summary of hours in the Details section.
3. Activity Type: Select "CPD Program or Course" from the drop down menu.
4. Fill in the fields as follows:
Area of Law: Civil Litigation
Program Name: Positioning Yourself for Success in Litigation
Provider: Goodmans LLP
Start and End Date: [Insert Date Viewed]
- Substantive Hours: 1
- Substantive Minutes: 30
- Professionalism Hours: 0
- Professionalism Minutes: 0
- EDI Hours: 0
- EDI Minutes: 0
Other Information: Solo viewing of program with H. Arthurs, M. Dunn, B. Halfin, T. Jacobson and S. Kauffman discussing strategies and tactics to help deal with the various issues and challenges that arise in the context of litigation. [Insert Time Viewed].
5. Click “Submit” and confirm “Yes” to the entry.
When you select "CPD" from the left hand column, you will see the program in your list of CPD activities and the time will be entered against your substantive hours requirement.
For your reference, the LSO Record Keeping Standards can be found here.